Weird heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Was moving heifers to a different farm to calve this weekend. I ran them by the vet on the way to have them palpated. All were bred 6-7 mos. When I dropped them off I noticed that one had a string of mucous hanging from her vulva. I hoped that it was some lube from her palpation, but noticed that she acted sort of agitated compared to the others (pacing around and bawling a little). The vet called her 7 mos bred. Today when I went to check them I found that this heifer had jumped the fence and gotten in with some fall cow/calves. This heifer has never been wild or been a fence jumper before. I didn't have time to run her back into the heifer lot.
I'm a little worried that the haul and palpation may have triggered a miscarriage or something. There are 20 total head and I split the haul into 3 separate groups just so I wouldn't overcrowd them on the trailer. I didn't see anymore discharge on her today and obviously didn't find a fetus carcass. Do you think I should put her in the shoot and palpate her again or just let her calm down and keep an eye on her?

As you know, mucus discharge can occur about anytime. Palpation often dislodges mucus. I would watch her. I think the change may be the cause for a case of nerves.

That late in the game I bet it's not a miscarriage. If she was in the first stage then it would be more possible.
More likely having a 2x4 sized arm stuck up her hind end caused it.

Thanks for the comments. Checked on her tonight and she seems to have settled back down, and I didn't notice anymore discharge. Hopefully all's well.

Latest posts