Weining issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
I weined 3 Angus heifers approx 6 mos ago. I drove by the pasture today & had to do a double take. One of the heifers was going to town on her momma & when she looked up she was definitely milk faced. I watched the heifers for a while & have not had an issue but now all of a sudden she has started suckling again. This heifer is now approx 10 mos old. My neighbor suggested a weining muzzle. I searched for one on the internet & all I could find are antiques. I will get the calf back up to start the weining process again but does anyone have any other suggestions? At this time I do not have a seperate pasture to put her in just a small weining pen. Any advice will be much appreciated.

How long did you keep her in the pen when you weaned her the first time? Cow should have dried up if it was long enough.
There are nose flaps that you can put on them. There was a thread on here about them, and some people like them. Pretty sure that you can find them on Valley Vet's website.
Good luck!

Col Reb":2qdmbwv9 said:
I My neighbor suggested a weining muzzle. I searched for one on the internet & all I could find are antiques.

Are you feeding your calves hotdogs? :lol2:
Calf Weaner plastic $1.49
Calf Weaner metal $11.95

Leedstone [wedocows] animal supplies
here is the link if you want to order...will help to prevent 'em from sucking, but they can still eat wieners!
http://www.leedstone.com/beef/calf-care ... pplies/p/2

You're :welcome: .
S.o.B.

Chances are she will always suck and if her momma is available to her she will always suck her momma. If not she may find another cow who will let her.

You probably don't want to hear this but if you can't keep those two apart and maybe even if you can you probably want to send her down the road.

FWIW I have seen 3 or 4 yr old cows suckling each other while their calves starved.

3waycross":sxwp1v9a said:
Chances are she will always suck and if her momma is available to her she will always suck her momma. If not she may find another cow who will let her.

You probably don't want to hear this but if you can't keep those two apart and maybe even if you can you probably want to send her down the road.

FWIW I have seen 3 or 4 yr old cows suckling each other while their calves starved.
Hard to hear but he's right!

dun":2vsft3f4 said:
3waycross":2vsft3f4 said:

Hard to hear but he's right!

They are both correct.

We kept a "weaned" cow that was a habitual milk stealer as a yearling. She lost her first calve shortly after it was born so we shipped her. I should have sent her down the road months earlier but I was hard headed.

I always post this, when the subject comes up. I had one, that could find just the right spot to lay in, and suck herself. Sold her of course. Shock of my life, when I figured it out.

3waycross":2bkhtc15 said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Its a shame when it happens, but when it does, the offending heifer/cow needs to leave!

I had a small dairy account a few years ago with a cow that nursed everything else. His feed program was crap so production was really low...except for that one cow...
The owner was a know it all and a complete a-hole so I kept my mouth shut and let him keep thinking she was his best cow.

yes valleyvet sells those nose flaps. we have used those before with really good luck. I would suggest trying it

Bigfoot,
I had a tall skinny ugly wild ass Brangus heifer last year that lost her calf and like yours, nursed herself. She was in poor condition so I planned on letting her fatten up before culling. Well she filled out well, matured and calmed down and I was to lazy to catch her, so she stuck around. It helped that I only had $900 in her. She raised a nice calf this year and I have not seen here nurse herself again. Being a bigger cow has made it more difficult but I think it is immaturity more than anything.
If I had an older one suck herself she would be on the next load out. Heifers do strange things.

Latest posts