Angus Bottle Calf issues/questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Charlie.annie

Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I have a two week old angus bottle baby and what feels like a million questions and/or issues.

He's had scours since I got him last Sunday. We've treated with prescription Scours 4x, electrolytes, pepto etc. We've had to tube feed electrolytes. He's finally suckling a bottle (2 qt) with all milk protein MR and will finally drink a bottle of electrolytes and will eat a small amount of grain. He has scour scald that we are treating with cleanliness and wound-kote. His poo seems to hardening up and he's peeing. He's weak in the back end but does walk around to check stuff out. Here's my questions so far:

I have a goat nutri-drench with selenium, can I give him that to try to get him stronger?
What should his poop look like as a normal bottle baby (he's my second bottle baby but I don't remember the last ones)?
When can expect his diarrhea to last?

Thanks, y'all!

Calf manure shouldn't be solid until they're eating a large amount of grain. If it's thin like water, he's got diarrhea. If it makes a loose pat on the ground, it's normal. If it stays in a tightly formed log, he's not getting enough to eat and drink. Most diarrhea will resolve in 3-7 days.

The back end weakness will improve as he eats and gets stronger. Young calves don't have a lot of stored energy, so when they're really sick and not drinking milk the body has to burn muscle tissue for energy.

Thank you for the quick response.

Another question: would you recommend feedings during the day, like a quart every few hours, instead of the 2 2qt bottles? My Holstein did great with the 2 bottles a day but this bugger seems to forget how to suckle at each feeding.

How long should I feed electrolytes?

Charlie.annie said:
Thank you for the quick response.

Another question: would you recommend feedings during the day, like a quart every few hours, instead of the 2 2qt bottles? My Holstein did great with the 2 bottles a day but this bugger seems to forget how to suckle at each feeding.

How long should I feed electrolytes?
As a general rule, more frequent small feedings are good for the calf's digestion. Twice daily feeding is really a minimum that we use for human convenience. Three feedings is a nice compromise.

Unless the calf is a real peanut, bumping the milk up to 5 or 6 quarts a day really helps them out. They grow faster and stay healthier. Since yours is probably underweight right now, it will help him catch up.

I usually recommend continuing the electrolytes for one day after the diarrhea resolves. After that, the regular milk diet is better.

Charlie.annie said:
Would you recommend getting selenium from the vet for the leg issues?

Absolutely. If this calf has not had a shot of Selenium and vitamin A&D and you can do that I would grab it. I always feed my weak calves 3 times or 4 times a day until they are better. I go milk, electrolytes, milk (if doing 3). I feed at morning afternoon and night. You'll know its better when its chasing you down and headbutting you for the bottle each morning.

cowgal604 said:
Charlie.annie said:

Absolutely. If this calf has not had a shot of Selenium and vitamin A&D and you can do that I would grab it. I always feed my weak calves 3 times or 4 times a day until they are better. I go milk, electrolytes, milk (if doing 3). I feed at morning afternoon and night. You'll know its better when its chasing you down and headbutting you for the bottle each morning.

I gave him 3/4 bottle of electrolytes last night and a dose of Probios. This morning he was up on his own, at the gate waiting for it to be opened. Took 3/4 milk bottle and went to town on grain. I know we're not totally out of the woods yet but goodness he's looking better! I'll get selenium shot from the vet today.

cowgal604 said:
Charlie.annie said:

I gave him 3/4 bottle of electrolytes last night and a dose of Probios. This morning he was up on his own, at the gate waiting for it to be opened. Took 3/4 milk bottle and went to town on grain. I know we're not totally out of the woods yet but goodness he's looking better! I'll get selenium shot from the vet today.

Charlie.annie said:
cowgal604 said:
Charlie.annie said:

If the calf really needed selenium I don't believe he would get better like this without it. So id assume its not that. But sounds like you're taking good care of him.

Latest posts