Eye Issues.... UGH.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago started with one cow with an irritated eye. Got her in chute, did a sweep of the eye to check for foxtail/sticker in eye. Found nothing. Applied Terramycin to eye and next day it was completely better. Just today, noticed another heifer with a swollen, closed, watery eye. Haltered, and swept out the eye and found nothing. Applied Terramycin this morning and tonight and it's still irritated but I think slightly better. Now tonight I found another heifer with a squinty, watery eye... going to get her in the squeeze tomorrow and do the same thing I did to the other 2. Is there anything else I'm missing?? Flies have been horrible this year. My cows are generally pretty friendly so I can shoot them with fly spray, but I think I'm going to need to try a dust bag of some sort. How about a pink eye vaccine? Should I be trying to use the Shut-eye patches?
Just frustrated that this is happening. I check my cattle nearly everyday so I know I am ahead of it but sheesh... can we get a break lol!

About 2 weeks ago started with one cow with an irritated eye. Got her in chute, did a sweep of the eye to check for foxtail/sticker in eye. Found nothing. Applied Terramycin to eye and next day it was completely better. Just today, noticed another heifer with a swollen, closed, watery eye. Haltered, and swept out the eye and found nothing. Applied Terramycin this morning and tonight and it's still irritated but I think slightly better. Now tonight I found another heifer with a squinty, watery eye... going to get her in the squeeze tomorrow and do the same thing I did to the other 2. Is there anything else I'm missing?? Flies have been horrible this year. My cows are generally pretty friendly so I can shoot them with fly spray, but I think I'm going to need to try a dust bag of some sort. How about a pink eye vaccine? Should I be trying to use the Shut-eye patches?
Just frustrated that this is happening. I check my cattle nearly everyday so I know I am ahead of it but sheesh... can we get a break lol!
I don't have much problem with pinkeye since all of my cattle are either Continental or Continental cross cattle, but Kenny invited me to a seminar in his area a couple of years ago at the LMU Vet School, and they told us that Pinkeye vaccine is only about 50% effective at best. I will defer to our Vets on here to confirm or deny this.

My herd is vaccinated annually with a custom autogenous pinkeye vaccine that targets both moxarella bovis & moxarella bovoculi. Last year is the first year I had to treat a few calves for pinkeye in probably 10 years. Caught 'em all early with just the small white spot. Worked them in the pasture (roped & snubbed to the grill of the Polaris - giddy-up!) and all healed before ulcerating.

I would suggest talking to your vet; whether a vaccine would be appropriate for your operation & location. That said, fly control & pasture management is your best defense.

We started to have pinkeye in our yearlings last year shortly after going to grass. We bought some pinkeye vaccine and did them all. Never another case all summer. This year we vaccinated before going to grass. Will see what this summer brings.

Just texted my vet. Got them both on Terramycin eye ointment. Thinking about just going for injectable antibiotics. I'm worried about doing the eye patch because you cannot see if they eye is getting better. Thoughts? What do you all treat pink eye with?

I usually give LA 200 or 300, if caught early enough it works fine. If I have them up where I can get them in the chute then I like to put a patch on too. The patches help keep flies, dust and other debris from further irritating their eye as well as keeping light off of it.

Yes I have LA 300 and eyepatches. I guess the biggest thing now is to make sure there's no foxtails in the eye. Then proceed with patches and LA 300. Thank you all!!

They actually make a needle for a dart gun that they classify as SQ. Haven't seen one yet. Even when using a dart IM I still place it in the neck region.
I had not heard about a sub q dart. How is it made? Is it shorter or made with the opening higher up on the needle and the part below with the point closed off?
I always place the dart in the neck too just as I would in a chute. I don't know but I've always figured the impact of the dart would cause more of a bruising effect than a traditional hands on injection so I have always tried to place the dart in the designated area of the neck to minimize any excess tissue damage.

I got both in the squeeze and did a little more investigating. The black angus had a fox tail that I pulled out of her eye. See photo. Although it was a foxtail, I still administered LA 300 and put on an eye patch to help with irritation.
Next was the Hereford, did not find any foreign bodies in the eye. Gave LA 300 and put on eye patch.
I'll keep you all updated. Thank you! I have only administered antibiotics one other time. I for some reason get a little nervous giving injections because it's difficult for me to tell weather or not I'm under the skin or into muscle. I injected the LA in 2 different spots, injected it slowly and massaged the neck for a good bit after.
Thank you for everyone's help! I am close with my Veterianrian and she walked me through what to do as she's due to have her baby anyway. But I always enjoy the help of you all!

Attachments

• 9712FF30-A5AC-4339-B13F-B5758DF49EBE.jpeg
    9712FF30-A5AC-4339-B13F-B5758DF49EBE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • A46748FE-5846-4918-B45A-D06AACFED2F2.jpeg
    A46748FE-5846-4918-B45A-D06AACFED2F2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Glad you got them taken care of.
Can you post a picture of your foxtail? We never have foxtail until fall here.
They are awful where we live right now. Dogs get them in their feet, and nose.

Attachments

• 9763396A-C125-4C2C-9F62-7BA15D493133.jpeg
    9763396A-C125-4C2C-9F62-7BA15D493133.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • EE95B76A-E1C6-4E88-A155-0D3A9EC43A73.jpeg
    EE95B76A-E1C6-4E88-A155-0D3A9EC43A73.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 62DCA189-2699-4298-9AB5-EC43791CEB9E.jpeg
    62DCA189-2699-4298-9AB5-EC43791CEB9E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9