Weighing Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I just rec'd the calf hoofmeter tape from Valley Vet $5.95 - my calf was born last week on Thur. It claims to have accuracy up to 24 hrs. after birth -- my timeline exceeded that - so I can't say if it's right or not - but seems to be pretty close.

coolpop":3798frr3 said:
I just rec'd the calf hoofmeter tape from Valley Vet $5.95 - my calf was born last week on Thur. It claims to have accuracy up to 24 hrs. after birth -- my timeline exceeded that - so I can't say if it's right or not - but seems to be pretty close.

The tape may not be as accurate as scales, but it will give you an idea of your contemporary group differences.

Lot's of folks use 'em.

have a scales mounted at the top of a 6 1/2 foot lightweight aluminum pipe, it must be 2-3 inches in diameter. Use an old piece of baler belting, bolt a loop on each end of it, then just put it around the middle of your calf, hook the loops onto the hook that comes out of the bottom of the scale, lift it up until the calf is off the ground and read the weight. I can take a picture of it if you are interested in weighing them with scales.

We have an old beam scale. It is supposed to weigh up to 600 lbs, but we don't have the extra weights. As it is it goes up to 200 lbs, and we have yet to run into a newborn that big ;-)

coolpop":1adkx3re said:

That's what I use, a lot easier to stick in my shirt pocket than the bathroom scales.

cfpinz

Nebraska Sandhills":19zj355d said:
have a scales mounted at the top of a 6 1/2 foot lightweight aluminum pipe, it must be 2-3 inches in diameter. Use an old piece of baler belting, bolt a loop on each end of it, then just put it around the middle of your calf, hook the loops onto the hook that comes out of the bottom of the scale, lift it up until the calf is off the ground and read the weight. I can take a picture of it if you are interested in weighing them with scales.

I like to see a pic...thanks!

We've used several different methods....The foot-tape is nice and as someone else stated, I think it gives you a good indication. Supposedly, when you take into account that most hanging scales don't maintain their accuracy after getting thrown around through a calving season, and a lot of people don't bother with calibrating them, the foot-tape would be the most consistent. Have an extra on-hand though, as it's pretty easy to lose when a protective momma is eating your ass. We've also used a pigging string with a hanging scale.....it's fast to put on, and once you've got it on, it makes it easier for tagging, treating the navel, and any shots you need to give.

David

HPIM0378.JPG

here is what the top looks like. You want to leave about 6-8 inches on the top so you have somewhere to put your hand to lift it up.

HPIM0380.JPG

here is what the bottom looks like. It doesn't take very much for it to rest on the ground.

HPIM0381.JPG

you can probably make a loop like this or have someone make it for you to put on the top of some old baler belting or something like it. The baler belting or whatever you use needs to be probably about 8-10 inches wide.

HPIM0382.JPG

here's what the whole belt looks like.

HPIM0385.JPG

HPIM0383.JPG

hope that kind of gives you an idea. We have used this particular scale for over 25 years. It has weighed atleast 12,000+ calves, and we have maybe recalibrated it twice. We check it ever spring and fall to make sure it is weighing correctly. It is a Hansen 200 lb. scale, a piece of inch aluminum pipe 6 and a half feet tall, and some old baler belting. It may take a little more work to weigh them with a scale, but a weight with a scale is an actual birth weight, more than just a good indication. It all depends on what you are able to do though, some people aren't physically able to lift a scale on every calf--in such cases a tape is better than nothing.

I personally dont weigh my calves. I can tell by the look of them what they generally weigh. I know about how much weight they put on in 7-8 months, then take them to the sale.

Our set-up is essentially the same, but we have a wooden pole & use canvas for the sling. Works great. We think we have a good eye for weight, but those little buggers can surprise you - one way or the other - real easily.
We used to use bathroom scales with a board to set it on for level spot out in pasture - broke many scales that way, with my hubby weighing 200# + a calf. But it works if you can pick the calf up.
Now in NY everything calves in the barn & we have the hanging method.

I throw my calves in the back of the "Mule" and use a bungee cord to tie their feet. I then proceed to the chute (with scales underneath) then weigh them and record their number and weight in the scalehead when I tag them.

The scalehead stores them in memory and computes ADG for life.

MikeC - What type of scales do you have if you don't mind me asking?

cfpinz

Nebraska Sandhills":3hm6hcab said:
some people aren't physically able to lift a scale on every calf--in such cases a tape is better than nothing.

That's us, which is why we use the bale handler to lift or a pulley system works too.

MikeC":1sb6nfia said:
cfpinz":1sb6nfia said:

cfpinz

It's a Tru-Test.

Thanks. I picked up a nice Gallagher monitor off of ebay a couple months back for next to nothing, now I need to come off the coin for the load bars, those things must be gold-plated. :shock:

cfpinz

cfpinz":83t734g5 said:
MikeC":83t734g5 said:
cfpinz":83t734g5 said:

cfpinz

It's a Tru-Test.

Thanks. I picked up a nice Gallagher monitor off of ebay a couple months back for next to nothing, now I need to come off the coin for the load bars, those things must be gold-plated. :shock:

cfpinz

Yea, if I remember right the load bars were way more expensive than the scale head. No Problems though. Get the Heavy Ones.

Latest posts