Weighing calves at sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Probably been discussed before but anyway--why do some barns weigh when they go through the ring and some weigh right off your trailer? There are sale barns all within 35 miles or closer to me and some weigh when you drop off and some weigh when they sell. Am I missing something because it seems like the weighing when I drop off is better for me the seller. Prices at all the barns are similar.

I dont think your missing anything.. I too think its best for the seller if they weigh em right off the trailer.. then u would know what you have right then. Especially if they have them overnight, they tend to lose 20+ lbs.

There is no barn around here that weighs right off the trailer. Everything is weighed in the ring when it sells. Off the trailer would get you a few more lbs but don't think the buyers don't take that into consideration. As a buyer and seller I believe weighing in the ring is the best and most fair way to do it.

All the sales that I'm familiar with weigh immediately after the cattle leave the ring. I'm not a buyer, but I believe most of them have seen enough cattle that they can tell if a calf is drawn from being at the barn for a while, and will pay more per pound than if it has a full belly.

Maybe it depends on thr facility and how it's set up. Never have seen one way other then in the ring.

Both auctions in our area weigh right off the trailer, though the one farther away often has large enough numbers that depending on when you get there, it may take quite a while for 'em to work 'em through to the scale.
The one we sell at most often - about 7 miles from the house - has never taken more than 20-30 minutes, max, to work 'em through to the scale after unloading.