Weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
How do you handle weeds under and around fruit trees? I've been too chicken to use poison :help:

Well some weeds but mostly a 'kweek' grass. I think you refer to it as Bermuda grass or couch grass, with it's rhizomes and stolons plus seed. It's terrible :shock: . I have Round Up but am just scared it kills off the trees. Perhaps try spraying around a couple of trees first and see what happens....

alisonb":685r2ppi said:
Well some weeds but mostly a 'kweek' grass. I think you refer to it as Bermuda grass or couch grass, with it's rhizomes and stolons plus seed. It's terrible :shock: . I have Round Up but am just scared it kills off the trees. Perhaps try a couple of trees first and see what happens....
don't spray the trees just the "grass, Weeds" I spray around fig, peach, plum, lemon trees with no problems. For small trees I use a Old political sign as a shield against the tree or shrub.

Glyphosate(roundup) will kill Bermuda grass but if you have any suckers on your trees it will damage the tree as well so you have to be careful not to get any drift and sucker before you spray. Contact killers like Rely can be applied directly to the suckers and it will save you the time of suckering in addition to knocking down the weeds.
Personally, I knock the suckers off and hit any glyphosate resistant weeds with the Rely and then spray the rest of it with glyphosate.

Latest posts