Weeds in the strawberries

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
Made a trip past the garden today and noticed that my strawberry patch is getting smothered by fescue, etc. What can I spray on it that will kill the grass but not my strawberries if anything? Thanks for the help. Boone

Get you a couple of geese to go in the strawberry patch. They will eat the weeds and leave the strawberry plants alone.

If I had that trouble I'd probably reach for the Fusilade first and see what the label says. Pretty sure it will do what you want but read the label to be sure.

Jogeephus":284dykdt said:
If I had that trouble I'd probably reach for the Fusilade first and see what the label says. Pretty sure it will do what you want but read the label to be sure.

Geese are more fun. They eat and fertilize all at the same time.

grannysoo":2ig7uyg7 said:
Jogeephus":2ig7uyg7 said:

Geese are more fun. They eat and fertilize all at the same time.

They would also allow you to go certified organic with the strawberries too wouldn't they. I'm thinking maybe $7.50/pt.
:nod:

I'd plant a new bed or two as early as you can on black plastic. Some varieties you can get a crop that same year. I have one rule I follow fastidiously in my strawberry patch. NO GRASS ALLOWED.

SirLoin":obmsnrgo said:
I'd plant a new bed or two as early as you can on black plastic. Some varieties you can get a crop that same year. I have one rule I follow fastidiously in my strawberry patch. NO GRASS ALLOWED.
I plant 3 times more than I need. Then I don't have to worry about a few weeds or bugs. :lol:

Same kind of situation except with crabgrass growing and spreading to choke out a stand of strawberries and asparagus. Is there a spray that will kill the crabgrass and hurt neither the strawberries or asparagus?

Stocky, I think you are out of luck on that one. A pre-emergence program is about all besides mulching or using plastic.

stocky":cxxpi5k8 said:
Same kind of situation except with crabgrass growing and spreading to choke out a stand of strawberries and asparagus. Is there a spray that will kill the crabgrass and hurt neither the strawberries or asparagus?

Poast is the name brand, buy the generic and it will take care of all the grasses. Can't be sprayed on the fruit however, so hurry up. Edit: Just talking about the strawberries, check label on asparagus.
Another edit: On crabgrass Poast will take a couple weeks for you to see it working. You will think it did nothing for 10 days or so and then all of a sudden it will start killing the grass.

Douglas":12fc4rpt said:
stocky":12fc4rpt said:

Poast is the name brand, buy the generic and it will take care of all the grasses. Can't be sprayed on the fruit however, so hurry up. Edit: Just talking about the strawberries, check label on asparagus.
Another edit: On crabgrass Poast will take a couple weeks for you to see it working. You will think it did nothing for 10 days or so and then all of a sudden it will start killing the grass.

Link ot the Poast lable. http://www.greenbook.net/docs/LABEL/L26409.PDF