Weeds in Sweet Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

syork

Reaction score
Last year I didnt have that big of a problem with weeds. This year geez its like someone put fertlize just for the weeds this year. I had a heck of a time going thru those rows of ragweeds vines and every kind of weed you can think of. I put some kind I forgot the name of spray on the fields when the corn gits so high to kill the grass. I used Weed and Feed to try to kill the weeds. Well the grass and weeds kept coming and I didnt want to put to much spray on it to kill the corn.

What I am wondering if any of you have any sucess on killing the weeds and the grass without killing the corn? I use Roundup ready in my field corn and there isnt a weed or grass in that field no where. I was wondering if I should use the Roundup ready next year for the sweet corn about 3 to 4 weeks before I plant the sweet corn so that I dont lose alot of the corn. I lost alot of corn from the high weeds that took the nutrients from the corn and the ears didnt do as good. I will be glad to come up with a sure fire solution to git rid of these dang weeds :mad: Any one have any suggestions? :help:

Hoe, hoe, hoe your row.
Gently every week.
Merryly, merryly, merryly, merryly,
Then we get to eat.

:help:
Sorry, I couldn't help it. :lol2:

I spray my corns rows with atrazine. Then I cultivate it once or twice throwing the dirt to the base of the stalk. Then I lay it by with a strong shot of ammonium nitrate or soda and the corn shades most everything else out.

2-4D doesnt kill corn as long as you dont mix it strong or soak the corn completly while doing it i would use a hand sprayer and do it by hand and get on top of it and keep them down not jsut spray the snot out of it twice. You could plant Liberty sweet corn and spray with Liberty or do like suggested and get your hoe out and start chopping

Spray round up and waite a week or two then plant. After planting, before it come up, spray 1/2 of the total alowed per year rate of atrazine. The after it coms up and gets large enough to cultivate, run the cultivater and then spray the second 1/2 of the rate alowed per year. That should keep it clean.

Thanks everyone for the advice I will try this next year i just hate those weeds. There was something in the corn field that broke me out in blisters. I had them on the side of my face on my forehead, neck, arms, legs you name it i had it. I was gonna go to the doctor and they finally busted. I have no idea what it was.

syork":in2tl9ve said:
Last year I didnt have that big of a problem with weeds. This year geez its like someone put fertlize just for the weeds this year. I had a heck of a time going thru those rows of ragweeds vines and every kind of weed you can think of. I put some kind I forgot the name of spray on the fields when the corn gits so high to kill the grass. I used Weed and Feed to try to kill the weeds. Well the grass and weeds kept coming and I didnt want to put to much spray on it to kill the corn.

What I am wondering if any of you have any sucess on killing the weeds and the grass without killing the corn? I use Roundup ready in my field corn and there isnt a weed or grass in that field no where. I was wondering if I should use the Roundup ready next year for the sweet corn about 3 to 4 weeks before I plant the sweet corn so that I dont lose alot of the corn. I lost alot of corn from the high weeds that took the nutrients from the corn and the ears didnt do as good. I will be glad to come up with a sure fire solution to git rid of these dang weeds :mad: Any one have any suggestions? :help:
get off your backside and grab the hoe

syork":5x0v5d07 said:

Purple hull peas (cowpeas) can hide the weed/grsss sunlight if planted at the right time relative to when the corn is planted. It may take you a couple of years to get the timing right. The purple hulls can run up the corn stalks if they are not bush type. This should also reduce corn nitrogen requirements.

HerefordSire":3git5bu6 said:
Purple hull peas (cowpeas) can hide the weed/grsss sunlight if planted at the right time relative to when the corn is planted. It may take you a couple of years to get the timing right. The purple hulls can run up the corn stalks if they are not bush type. This should also reduce corn nitrogen requirements.
Actually there is very little nitrogen transfer between the legume and the corn if both are growing at the same time. The most nitrogen benefit from the legume is in the foliage. There is some N transfer in the root and nodule area, just very little as compared to the foliage.

Latest posts