Weed ID Please

Help Support CattleToday:

Rajela

Reaction score
So what is it????????

photo%202_zpswfjksuqo.jpg

photo%202_zpswfjksuqo.jpg

Flower sure looks like it. If that's what it is be sure to kill it because it will kill cattle. Its in the bean/pea family and the cattle will eat it.

Jogeephus
What would you recommend for a sure fire kill. I was looking at hitting it with some Grazon Next.

Web search shows that showy rattlebox a cousin of smooth rattlebox will succumb to a healthy dose of 24D..hmmm

I'm sure that would get it or any of the broadleaf herbicides. Most of your bean type plants are easy to kill. Too easy at times. :oops:

Rajela":mjnvpmre said:
OSU extension agent seem to think it is Yellow Wild Indigo but I have my doubts.

He very well could be right. Its hard to tell from a picture but this is the time for the indigo to bloom and crotalaria - being a bean - would just be growing good and will tend to bloom more in the summer or early fall. If its similar to indigo here then there will be some black or greyish leaves near the base of the plant. That's always a big clue for me when I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Jogeephus":3gcuit2q said:
Rajela":3gcuit2q said:
OSU extension agent seem to think it is Yellow Wild Indigo but I have my doubts.

He very well could be right. Its hard to tell from a picture but this is the time for the indigo to bloom and crotalaria - being a bean - would just be growing good and will tend to bloom more in the summer or early fall.
Same thing I was thinking. There's a field here that has crotalaria in it and a couple of weeks ago I was there and the plants were only 2 or 3 inches tall and months away from blooming. Meanwhile, the wild indigo is blooming now. The indigo here has yellow flowers but otherwise doesn't look like the plant pictured.

Latest posts