weather extremes

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I have seen my fields flooded before and in years past it was just a part of spring, This year it creates a whole new set of problems. I am at full capacity with my cows. Spring has been a blessing with grass coming, I am still feeding hay and liquid feed to give what grass I have a chance and to try and rotate fields. Cows are in good shape. when I checked the field yesterday water had receded about 2 ft all the way around. Major storms rolled thru last light and one lighting strike was real close and it got my coffee pot. when I left this morning another 3 1/2 inches and the second round could produce another inch. one area where I saw the receding water was up the 2 ft and another 5 ft. I am looking to find some more land but it is nearly impossible to find anything with grass right now. it all been disced up for row crops. In this pic is 80 acres It was taken in a dry year. the black outline is 80 acres the red line is where the water is right now. the green outline is normal flood area in spring . the yellow is the holes that hold water in a normal year.

I sure hope we continue to get rain, Just not 4+ inches a week. if the water is not down by the end of may I will have to reduce my herd by at least half.
I been thru droughts(nothing like texas has had) and hope I never see another drought but this is a situation I have never had to deal with before.

We've had extreme temps this spring. This past Sunday, we had a high of 82. Tonight, Tuesday night low of 14. That's one heck of a swing in less than 48 hours...

Don't feel left out or singled out M5. This is a very wet year through much the south. We needed this kind of year for the ground water. I tell people don't ever cuss the rain in the south, but this is getting a little much. Two years ago I sold half my herd because of the drought. It won't be long and we will be praying for rain again.

and all we can do about any of it is cuss it and discuss it....

We were 82 yesterday and freeze warnings tonight....done covered my maters already....hope it does not get too cold on em....

cold snaps like this are hard on the spring grass as well....starts growing and then gets froze back....similar to being grazed to heavy to early....

pdfangus":382uj778 said:

We were 82 yesterday and freeze warnings tonight....done covered my maters already....hope it does not get too cold on em....

cold snaps like this are hard on the spring grass as well....starts growing and then gets froze back....similar to being grazed to heavy to early....

Same here. The grass is extremely tender and full of water. Down to 25 tonight. I am wondering what it will do.

cow pollinater":1yz1wov6 said:
Feel free to pump some out my way. :cry2:
If I could I would. While I enjoy having the water table built back up my only concern is the lack of grazing. The water will recede and this summer is likely gonna be dry. If I can hold on there is another 30 than joins me and this will be the last year it will be row cropped. I should have rented it this year and didn't.

M5farm":24gv8rqg said:
I have seen my fields flooded before and in years past it was just a part of spring, This year it creates a whole new set of problems. I am at full capacity with my cows. Spring has been a blessing with grass coming, I am still feeding hay and liquid feed to give what grass I have a chance and to try and rotate fields. Cows are in good shape. when I checked the field yesterday water had receded about 2 ft all the way around. Major storms rolled thru last light and one lighting strike was real close and it got my coffee pot. when I left this morning another 3 1/2 inches and the second round could produce another inch. one area where I saw the receding water was up the 2 ft and another 5 ft. I am looking to find some more land but it is nearly impossible to find anything with grass right now. it all been disced up for row crops. In this pic is 80 acres It was taken in a dry year. the black outline is 80 acres the red line is where the water is right now. the green outline is normal flood area in spring . the yellow is the holes that hold water in a normal year.

I sure hope we continue to get rain, Just not 4+ inches a week. if the water is not down by the end of may I will have to reduce my herd by at least half.
I been thru droughts(nothing like texas has had) and hope I never see another drought but this is a situation I have never had to deal with before.

I don't know what to think of people who live in a swamp and the complain about the water.

pdfangus":30qnadyl said:

.....or we can develope a plan for it.

Profitable and sustainable ranching enterprises in the west have drought plans in place for droughty conditions.
Sometimes this means de-stocking, selling off all livestock, or leasing more grass, sometimes several states away, or a combination of the above.

Perhaps folks in the subtropics and deep south should have a plan in place for flooding and wildfires.

You might consider finding more pasture instead of selling off part of your herd. You could split the herd up, or, move the herd from pasture to pasture. While it may be more labor, you could still keep your herd intact.

During years where you don't have flood conditions, you could custom graze other peoples cattle on the excess grass from the new lease(s), generating cash flow. Alternatively, the extra grass could be used for a stocker enterprise, or stockpiled for winter use during your dry season.

There's always a solution.

Good Luck.

Latest posts