predicting the weather

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Used to be an Old man that came on a local morning show that would predict the weather with surprising accuracy , I wish I had of paid more attention to the old signs , One in particular that I have been using for yrs is predicting the first frost . We have been so dry I did not know if I would see the sign this year. We have a little yellow butterfly that in the fall will congregate (5 or 6) of them on the ground typically in a wet spot. I remember my granddaddy telling me it was 6 weeks till first frost. we always set that date on the calendar. I received a calendar notice on my phone this morning that I saw the butterflies 6 weeks ago. Sunday morning our temp was 37 deg and I had a light frost on my truck and the barn roof.

Around Central Illinois dark wooly worms mean harsh winter.

When I was a kid in Decatur there was a guy who had a standing bet of $1.00 with all-comers that it would rain on May 10th. He won nearly every year!! Newspaper carried the tale long after his death.

I learned this one by personal observation. During the summer here, if there's little to no dew in the morning it will shower that same attention.

One thing I know is when it's wet out it's usually raining.

As for the winter we'll have.. I'm under the impression that for us at least, it'll be relatively mild, but with a more than the usual amount of snow, and it could come early...

M-5":3gt02q8x said:
also 3 foggy mornings is a precursor to rain on the 4th day

That didn't work here last week, but neither did any of my dances. When the pecan trees bud there won't be another frost. The butterfly deal is dead on from what I can see.

the first good tip would be to keep the bike clean using formula 88 and to spray down with good ole WD-40

As a kid I remember the old farmers talking about 1st frost would be xxx number of days after the 1st thunder/lightening storm ending winter. I do remember one year we had a thunder/lightening storm in the middle of winter and the same year we had a very early killing frost, but I can't remember the specifics. Also that the new moon brings weather change.

callmefence":kqwuvbd1 said:
Mesquite tree's budding or very consistent on signaling last frost has passed..
Have heard the same thing, but when I lived out in Tom Green county, the advice was to just watch the older mesquite trees. The immature ones tended to lie.
(none here in my area)

I prefer the "weather rock". If it's whit it's snowing, if it's wet ist's raining if it's hot it's sunny if it's swinging it's windy if it's bouncing up and down it's an earthquake.

ga.prime":1u710264 said:
If a snapping turtle bites you, he won't turn loose until it thunders.

Always heard this too. If the turtle was in Georgia, and he bit you in September of 2016, then he would have a tired mouth right about now :lol2:

Latest posts