Weaning Weights this year

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I just pulled off about 50 calves from mommas tonight.Some a little early to help mom out. I am going to run them through the chute for vacs and to weigh them in the morning. most look very good but some look like they are going to be a little light. Most of the bulls look to be in the 675-750 range and heifers in the 525-600 range. There is not going to be any huge Over 800 this year. These figures are going to be a little lower than normal for me. Is anyone else seeing lower weights due to the drought this year.

Our wean weights should be on track for normal but I can guarantee we won't have any 800 pounders or even 700 pounders out of our little ole 1100-1200# cows.

Great weights. We can't touch that. You must be the man ... or something else.

Jake":3fg5qwok said:
...I can guarantee we won't have any 800 pounders or even 700 pounders out of our little ole 1100-1200# cows.

I'm with you on that one. But they are/will be lighter than normal. Just one of those years. :roll:

cfpinz

800 lbs is a rarity. We will have 1-3 a year that are 775-825. This is not the norm and most the time it is from a bigger framed cow that if you look at amount of weaned animal per lb of her own body weight may not be as impressive as some smaller cows I have.Our jr. herd sire right now was 808 ww 1380 yw. full brother was 830 and over 1400 yw

last year I did because of the drought. I haven't done any this year. I am not opposed to it. I don't know if that's the factor to the lower weights but I gotta think it's the drought. Cows have looked better

PLB- what type of cattle and pasture/hay. Saw some 7-8cwt WW simiangus at the vet in June that but they and their momas had been on alfalfa.

plbcattle":3auis24t said:
I just pulled off about 50 calves from mommas tonight.Some a little early to help mom out. I am going to run them through the chute for vacs and to weigh them in the morning. most look very good but some look like they are going to be a little light. Most of the bulls look to be in the 675-750 range and heifers in the 525-600 range. There is not going to be any huge Over 800 this year. These figures are going to be a little lower than normal for me. Is anyone else seeing lower weights due to the drought this year.

We weaned a couple of weeks ago and our weights were down. I blame the drought in part, but all the bulls are out of calving ease sires, too, and they'll be lighter than calves by other bulls we've used.

Jake":13j6yl6i said:
Our wean weights should be on track for normal but I can guarantee we won't have any 800 pounders or even 700 pounders out of our little ole 1100-1200# cows.

Jake curious what kind of weights you guys get on average. We have more moderate frame cows. What breed?

Always hear people talking about heavy weaning weights but wonder what size cows they have to get them weights.

I have wondered many times about the numbers you hear on these boards, sale barn ect. and how you get em.

I dont creep, the mommas raise what I sell and the cows eat grass, nothin more.
With that said I am tickled to get better than a 640 or so lb 205 calf some more but most just alittle under 600 lbs. I know gentics help but just dont see how those 1000 lb cows produce enough milk to raise 800 lb monster and breed back.

I am willing to learn educate me????

MD

redfornow":2whf0lxg said:
I know gentics help but just dont see how those 1000 lb cows produce enough milk to raise 800 lb monster and breed back.

MD

They don't. Anybody who says a 1000-1200 lb cow can raise an 800 lb calf, on her own without creep feed, and breed back on time, is probably not telling the truth.

VanC":7v995xjr said:
redfornow":7v995xjr said:
I know gentics help but just dont see how those 1000 lb cows produce enough milk to raise 800 lb monster and breed back.

MD

They don't. Anybody who says a 1000-1200 lb cow can raise an 800 lb calf, on her own without creep feed, and breed back on time, is probably not telling the truth.

It's not the norm Van but it does happen. I have a bull that 205 adjusted 912 lbs. His dam weighs around 1250 and has a calving interval of 372 days for eight calves.

It's not necessarily how much milk she gives, and has a lot to do with the eagerness of the calf to graze. A cows milk that is high in butterfat will raise a much heavier calf than a heavy milker whose milk is watered down.

Calves thrive on fat. When we were in the dairy business, we found out a jersey could raise MUCH better calves than the holsteins did.

Caustic Burno":39d9gut5 said:
Weaning weights will go down with the heat as it is nowhere near optimum temperature to put weight on cattle.

Yep. Stress is a big factor. EVEN on me! :lol:

And I ain't weaned yet. :p

MikeC":34x8dc0l said:
VanC":34x8dc0l said:
redfornow":34x8dc0l said:

MD

It's not the norm Van but it does happen. I have a bull that 205 adjusted 912 lbs. His dam weighs around 1250 and has a calving interval of 372 days for eight calves.

It's not necessarily how much milk she gives, and has a lot to do with the eagerness of the calf to graze. A cows milk that is high in butterfat will raise a much heavier calf than a heavy milker whose milk is watered down.

Calves thrive on fat. When we were in the dairy business, we found out a jersey could raise MUCH better calves than the holsteins did.

Mike:

I figured there would be exceptions. Always are. But as you said, it's not the norm. Wasn't trying to call anyone a liar.

You're right on with the butterfat thing. Knew a guy years ago who crossed Jersey with Angus and then put a Char bull on them. Those were some kick butt calves. Quite a few dairy guys are now crossbreeding to increase butterfat, fertility and longevity.

MikeC":1q9fzigb said:

The one Jersey I have (the oddball in the herd) raises the heaviest calf each year. The second heaviest (usually an Angus from work) generally, is the "extra" calf I put on her.

I'd love for all my cows to have the butterfat content in their milk factories that that one Jersey of mine has. Then its a sure bet I'd have some 7 to 8 weaning weights.

Katherine