weaning weight vs cow weight

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a question about weaning weights and cow size. Say a smaller frame cow in the 900 lb range weans a calf a slightly over half her weight(470lb) vs a 1300 lb cow weans a calf well under her weight (580lb). In todays market ,which is more profitable? Will the heavier cow eat the added weight up in the run of a year? If you were culling base only on weaning weight with no other issues were involved, which would be the logical choice to cull? Is there a simple equation to figure the profitability? Looking forward to thoughts.

zirlottkim":379e8e2v said:
I have a question about weaning weights and cow size. Say a smaller frame cow in the 900 lb range weans a calf a slightly over half her weight(470lb) vs a 1300 lb cow weans a calf well under her weight (580lb). In todays market ,which is more profitable? Will the heavier cow eat the added weight up in the run of a year? If you were culling base only on weaning weight with no other issues were involved, which would be the logical choice to cull? Is there a simple equation to figure the profitability? Looking forward to thoughts.

Very good ? My take is I want a moderate cow that is s easy keeper,
that weans a calf that mashes the scales.
A cow that wants to stay here has wean
a calf within 10% of her peers.

That said I am running a crossbred cow producing a 3 way cross maximizing hybred vigor.

You want the cow that produces the biggest calf per the smallest amount of cost. That includes feed and maintenance. The size of the cow may or may not have an effect on that.

In general I like moderately sized animals. They can wean some monster calves and they tend to physically hold up better long term.

Then factor breed back time. If the smaller cow is weaning that "monster" calf but doesn't breed back on time, it's costing you.

I switched to using red angus(crossed with hereford) to make my commercial cow herd due to this and will do a terminal third cross. I like to see lots of Beckton in a pedigee. They have been pushing their weaning weights up while maintaining a 1,000-1,100 pound cow for a long time.
Feed efficiency is variable, it may be that the bigger cow is just as profitable as the smaller cow but they would both have to be extreme examples to eat the same amount and it's really just a guess unless you invest consistently in feed efficiency tested bulls so your next best option is to reduce cow size but try to maintain weaning weights.

In my unscientific research I have found there's a right size cow for every area.. in mine it's a mine size frame with some weight to her... the small cow just can't make a big enough calf for market demands and the monster cow eats too much to pay for the added weight gain... frame 5ish and 1400 lbs is a pretty happy medium...
That all said I'm going for a certain look in my herd, and if they don't have it they aren't staying regardless of productivity... I'm slowly getting there

Cp, agreed.. I have some unproductive small cows that eat like pigs and don't wean squat and big efficient cows as well.. again unscietifially, but I do get an idea from which ones are always at the feed bunk and which ones leave first and go chew cud

cow pollinater":3httiklf said:
I switched to using red angus(crossed with hereford) to make my commercial cow herd due to this and will do a terminal third cross. I like to see lots of Beckton in a pedigee. They have been pushing their weaning weights up while maintaining a 1,000-1,100 pound cow for a long time.
Feed efficiency is variable, it may be that the bigger cow is just as profitable as the smaller cow but they would both have to be extreme examples to eat the same amount and it's really just a guess unless you invest consistently in feed efficiency tested bulls so your next best option is to reduce cow size but try to maintain weaning weights.
I have some Red Angus/Senepol cross that I really like. Heat tolerant/short haired, calm, stay fat, very heavy milkers and fat growthy calves . All the advantage of brahman cross that I need except without any crazy.

I'm really happy with moderate framed cows. Smaller framed cows do weaned big calves but sometimes these calves don't have a desired weight for slaughter.

Muddy":1volsykw said:
I'm really happy with moderate framed cows. Smaller framed cows do weaned big calves but sometimes these calves don't have a desired weight for slaughter.
Bingo!

It's an option, or run more cows. One scenario that definitely begs for big cows is when they eat someone elses food, and you're paying by the head.. Range, rented pasture, and the likes.

Nesikep":28uvqxtb said:
In my unscientific research I have found there's a right size cow for every area.. in mine it's a mine size frame with some weight to her... the small cow just can't make a big enough calf for market demands and the monster cow eats too much to pay for the added weight gain... frame 5ish and 1400 lbs is a pretty happy medium...
That all said I'm going for a certain look in my herd, and if they don't have it they aren't staying regardless of productivity... I'm slowly getting there

Cp, agreed.. I have some unproductive small cows that eat like pigs and don't wean squat and big efficient cows as well.. again unscietifially, but I do get an idea from which ones are always at the feed bunk and which ones leave first and go chew cud

How big of a calf do you have to have for market?

In my area, 900 lbs is to small, 1300 is to big, 1100 is just about right. Like the others have said, the smaller cow may be more efficient but if her calves lack frame size, then it will not be more profitable. There is a happy medium and it changes for different parts of the county. I have some in every weight class but to me 1100 lbs is ideal so I try to work to that average.

Brute 23":2vrr6851 said:
Nesikep":2vrr6851 said:

How big of a calf do you have to have for market?
Anything under 500 is going to not be liked as much, yeah, you still get more per pound, but lose out in the total value.. 5's and 6 wts are about perfect

zirlottkim":28nvmnpx said:
Say a smaller frame cow in the 900 lb range weans a calf... (470lb) vs a 1300 lb cow weans a calf (580lb).
In todays market ,which is more profitable?
Is there a simple equation to figure the profitability?
2 variables needed to develop your equation.

1. you need to assign a $ value to both the small frame 470 lb calf and the 580 lb calf.
2. your cost of feed and how much each cow will go through per year.

IF 580 lb calf is worth $150 more than the small frame 470 lb calf ($850 vs $700)
THEN what is your cost to carry the little 900 lb cow per year vs your cost to carry the 1300 lb cow?
and go from there
IF 1300 lb cow cost is $465 per year and 900 lb cow cost is $365 then 465 - 365 = 100
150 - 100 = $50 advantage to 580 lb calf.

your mileage WILL vary

Latest posts