Weaning time

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Got 7 in the lot for their first night w/o momma. Fence line weaning so momma is close but no late night snack of milk. Glad it is cool tonight in N Al ! Our pasture is over a half mile away so I can't hear them; hope the neighbors at the pasture pull their windows down tonight . :cboy:

The first night isn;t usually the worst. The calves beller some but the cows are generally quiet. It's the second night when the udders are tight and the calves are really lonely that the real noise starts. Then another night with somewhat less noise then pretty much quiet after that.

All good this am ! Calves ready for some fresh water,feed and hay. Moms still hanging around .

Curious what most folks call fence-line weaning.

Is it two strands of ploywire, woven wire, or what?

My calves are in my lot/ corral which is 6 ft high oak boards with welded fence panels on the inside. Some folks run them in adjoining pastures with wire fence of some type and then an electric fence for added discouragement ! Mom on one side calf on the other. Mine will stay this way for 4-5 days or till mom rejoins the herd and then I will move them as far away as possible. Heifers will go to the heifer pasture , bulls to the bull pen with some yearlings.

Last year my neighbors weaned some calves and then went hunting to escape the noise. Slick so-and-so's....

dun":3ka3tiy8 said:
Single strand of very hot poliwire.
Don't see how you make that work. I tried it one year, and gave up after having to re-sort 4 or 5 times

Lazy M":1z2hm1fj said:
dun":1z2hm1fj said:
Don't see how you make that work. I tried it one year, and gave up after having to re-sort 4 or 5 times
Calves and cows are well broke to hotwire. Posts are close together (25 feet or so) so no sag

dun":1ujg3dlg said:
Lazy M":1ujg3dlg said:
dun":1ujg3dlg said:
Calves and cows are well broke to hotwire. Posts are close together (25 feet or so) so no sag
Life is better with gentle cows..

Lazy M":2tt7u020 said:
dun":2tt7u020 said:
Lazy M":2tt7u020 said:
Life is better with gentle cows..

Wow. Must be nice. Weaning ours now with three strands of poly with posts maybe 8 feet apart, tops. We have learned the hard way. Our white tail deep population complicates things too, especially in the fall.
Which reminds me, I have to call about a nuisance permit in the am...

I also get the calves / cows used to being in their respective fields so the know the hot wire is there but I"m not sure that's entirely necessary.

Morning of 3 rd day; no momma cows in the pasture next to the lot where the calves are. Closed the gate to that pasture. Calves are eating hay and protein feed they are getting. Plan on worming and vaccinating Sat am and putting them in their respective pastures. So far so good !

That's about normal. Occasionally we'll get a heifer that pines for her calf an extra day, but not recently.

I have two strands of reg elec wire between mine. Works pretty good as long as its HOT!

Latest posts