Weaning pen

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Fence line weaning I'm tearing down old fence at my place and making area wean pen. The fence I'm tearing down been here over 50 yrs it's like 4 strands of barb wire. I'm thinking buying 7ft tpost only need about 20 and running 6 strands of barb wire. Is this a bad idea. Any pros and cons of this? And does anybody else fence line wean.

I think the majority on here that actually do wean (versus weaning on the trailer headed to the sale) utilize fence line weaning. To me it is less stressful to both cow and calf. With our operation, the weaning pen is corral boards... I have seen too many cows and calves walk through barb wire no matter how many strands you have up. If you are sold on using wire, I would probably consider page wire or woven wire fence. Good luck in whatever you decide.

You need to use net wire or woven wire or whatever you want to call it. High tensile is best. It doesn't have to be real tall IMO. Calves don't have a tendency to jump over, they want to go through it. Barb wire works when it is nice and tight. 5 years down the road it may not be. At least with woven wire if it gets loose, they still can't go through it.

TN Cattle Man said:
I think the majority on here that actually do wean (versus weaning on the trailer headed to the sale) utilize fence line weaning. To me it is less stressful to both cow and calf. With our operation, the weaning pen is corral boards... I have seen too many cows and calves walk through barb wire

Funny they have no trouble going through it..but if its a border fence they can't figure out how to come back through...it's like it just popped up outa nowhere....

Especially if you are using "T" posts,I'd advise high tensile woven with something like Sta Tuff or Bekeart locked joints.I believe the hinge joints would be easier to push apart although that's all we once had.
Hot wire on top and the back side would be helpful,too.I'd put the woven on the side next to the calves.

Every year I have at least 1 go through 6 strand hi tensile that has 6k volts in it. So I started weaning in the barnyard with board fence. Worked great.

We don't do fence line weaning. We actually pull calves off pasture, leaving mommas there. Who will end up being pushed to stalks once ready. Then brought home to calve.

A majority of our fence at home now is continuous fence but in places along our bunk line, we will put up corral panels so that when they get out, they won't get past the panels. It's a little extra work but helps you sleep thru the night.

I'd recommend the high tinsel otherwise. We actually use that in our bull pen.

Put one of those strands of barb at the bottom of the high tensile woven. Had a 2000 lb bull graze under my net wire along the road. When he looked up he was OUT!!! Luckily one of my Mexican friends drove by with several (many) of his friends in the truck. Gates were locked. They pushed that bull back under the wire. No way in he!! I would have even thought of that much less tried and succeeded.
Side story - Had a young bull 1200-1400lbs got whooped by the old bull and he ran away from home. Bull had a ring in his nose. Bull was hold up in a bad 40 acre thicket about a 1/4 mile behind my place. Thicket was so thick you couldn't drive him, he'd just double back. Same Mexican and one friend went and found him. Put a rope on him and a lead in the ring. Worked the rope and lead tree to tree through that thicket and brought him back. Bull would lead a little when they finally got back to my pasture. The young men from down South learned how to handle cattle with no resources or facilities.

Got it up used 4ft high of field fence and one strand of barb wire and calfs stayed in now I can sleep better not worrying about them getting out thanks for the help guys

Latest posts