weaning calves

Help Support CattleToday:

iafarmer07

Reaction score
just out of curiosity, i have a few questions about your calving and weaning procedures. i know what i do, but i would like some input on what everyone else does and how it works for them. when do you calve? when do you wean? when and at what age do you normally work your calves? how long do you keep your calves after weaning before you sell them? at what weight are they normally weighing when you sell them?
i was just looking for some input to see if maybe i could change anything in my cycle.
i normally calve late january/early febuary to the middle or end of march. i normally wean my calves around the middle to end of july. i normally keep my calves around after weaning for 60+ days depending on what the prices are looking like. i normally work my calves after all the calves are born and they have all had a few weeks to ensure they all can handle being worked.
thanks for your input

both the reg beefmasters an comm cow herd calve year round.like to have calves coming off all through the year.reg calves are worked shortly after weaning.comm calves are weaned on the trailer.

I calve last week of Jan to late March (almost done!!) We ran the cows thru the chute 2 weeks ago, delice & MLV. (will catch late ones later) Will run calves thru chute when all are over 3 months of age - deworm, MLV, clostridial & pasteurella, castrate some & tattoo all. Run thru again 4 weeks later for boosters. Wean (fenceline) late Aug or early Sept. Run thru chute again for whole set of shots & deworming again about 2-4 weeks after weaning. Sell steers Oct/Nov - 700-900#.

We background our calves and have good momma cows that don't mind loving their big babies for about 260 days, up to a maximum of 300 days. Calve in April and May and calves might get pulled by the end of December, depends on weather...sometimes its a few weeks into January.

When we were selling calves off the cows, we were calving February and March and weaning end of September for first of October sale, so around 210-230, max 240 days.

We like our system now. Allows us to think about other things, rather than rushing to wean and vaccinate and start feeding calves in the fall.

Before, destraught mommas would be sent 1/2 to 1 mile away to gain flesh for winter on hayfield regrowth.

Now, their babies come with them. Come December/January, mommas are all too willing to be rid of their calves and end up with very little stress on mom, baby or us. :cboy:

Latest posts