WEANING AGE

Help Support CattleToday:

TRIPLEDFARMS1

Reaction score
JUST WANTING EVERY ONES OPINIONS MY COWS CALVE OCT THRU NOV SELL END JUL FIRST OF AUG USUALLY WEIGH 550 TO 650 SOME A LITTLE MORE

That sounds right. I wean about six months, that usually comes out at around 550. Kaneranch

patience is a virtue. not one that i have, but it IS a virtue.

TRIPLEDFARMS1":15qwzsn6 said:
IS THIS THE ONLY REPLY ON THIS WHOLE BOARD IF SO NOT MUCH FEEDBACK

You may also want to check the time. Most ranchers/farmers are in bed by 9:00 as they usually are up by 4 or 5 AM.

PS Typing in all capitals is considered shouting, a trait that is not going to win you any kind of points.

I think part of the problem, besides the yelling, is that you didn;t really say what you wanted an opinion on. Weight at weaning, time frame of weaning, hte new ambassador to the UN. Hard to respond when you don;t know what the question is!

dun

With or without creep-feeding? How good is your pasture? What type of cows do you have? How big are they? We want them to wean over 50% of the dam's body weight without creep. We pull them off at around 200 days. At this time of the year, our pasture is nothing to write home about.

TRIPLEDFARMS1":sgp2eq97 said:
JUST WANTING EVERY ONES OPINIONS MY COWS CALVE OCT THRU NOV SELL END JUL FIRST OF AUG USUALLY WEIGH 550 TO 650 SOME A LITTLE MORE

That's ok if that's what you want to do. That's my opinion.

What do you usually do Flaboy, it sounded like you thought there was a better way, Is there??? THanks Kaneranch

most all calves are weaned off at 7 to 8 months old.an then the calves are sold off. scott

Wow! He or she yells out a bit of info about fall calving and apparently some sort of disguised question, does it late at night, waits less than two and a half hours for a response and then complains about it --- you folks that responded are awfully kind. Maybe we should sic old Caustic or Muratic on him/her. ;-)

My opinion is that you should stop using all capitals and learn to throw in a period once in awhile.

Also, my opinion again (since you asked) is that 650 is a little light for 8 month old calves. But, without knowing where you are and your pasture conditions, it might be fine for your location. Light for Florida, probably good for frigid tundra of Wisconsin/Minnesota and upper northeast area.

TRIPLEDFARMS1":23fjt6ja said:

Some of us hold down jobs in addition to offering advice!

...and your question was?

kaneranch":2ijx6i52 said:
What do you usually do Flaboy, it sounded like you thought there was a better way, Is there??? THanks Kaneranch

No I didn't mean to indicate there is a better way. What I meant was if that is whats works for him. There are many variables to weaning. Herd management comes to mind, creep feeding, forage condition. All these things come into play. I personally don't think there is perfect weaning policy for everyone. Everyone has to look at their own operation and decide.

Me personally? I wean at 5 months or there about. I don't creep feed, I don't castrate. Come 5 months, I ship them. There are some exceptions.

Does it usually work out better for you not to casterate. I know some people that do that, they say that it comes out about the same price and the calves don't have near the stress.

didnt mean to shout never pay att to caps and i was not on the spelling honor or english either cant spell good so bare with me i guess what i was asking was thats when i wean just wondering how the other cattle farmers in world tought a good weaning age is some people around me letem suck 8-9-10 months i live in ala on tenn line get around 95-100 temp heat index 95 to 110 by end june to 1st sept and that was no creep feed strait off moma and grass witch gets short no rain in two weeks . apoligize for time and caps tdf1.

I generally wean from 6-8 months depending on time of year and forage. i shoot for 7 months. your weights are good if your cows are 8-9 weight, low if they are 12 weight.. really not enough info to know how well they do..

10 months is too long... the cow needs to be drying up before calving again.. personally i dont want a cow nursing from 7 months on in her pregnancy. earlier is better, but 7 months is the max for me.

jmo

jt

kaneranch":o50ptbzi said:
Does it usually work out better for you not to casterate. I know some people that do that, they say that it comes out about the same price and the calves don't have near the stress.

We don't see a big difference in $/lb between steers and bulls down here so we don't want to waste our time with it. Also keep in mind we ship at lighter weights (300-400lbs) than a lot of people on here are shipping at. It will make more of a difference at higher weights (500-700lbs) to steer. Also some on here have said their markets have quite a difference between bull price and steer prices. I don't see it here. You need to check you local market and local producers and see what their logic is to make the best decision as to what works for you.

Sorry about not posting a reply sooner, we had all the girls standing on the hill outside our bedroom window letting us know that it was morning feed time so we took the time to fill the feed bunks and didn't get to the computer till after breakfast.
We wean at seven months regardless of size, need to insure that the cow is ready for the third trimester without a calf on the teat. Ours weigh 600+ at weaning.
dave Mc

Latest posts