Weak calf

Help Support CattleToday:

CalumetFarms

Reaction score
I have a 9 month old heifer calf with reoccurring issues. She's around 300lbs. She has bloated three times, all due to the way she lays and sleeps. She doesn't sleep on her chest with her legs curled, as they should. But rather on her side, sprawled out. This has caused rumen gas build-up, I've always caught her in time and had vet come out on one of the occasions. Her body temp has been as low as 93, which is near hypothermia and organ failure.
Each time I just put a halter on her, pull her onto her chest. Stomach tube, relieve gas. Body temp, wait for her to warm back up around 101. Then she'll stand and do fine.
She was 10-way vacced twice when weaned.
I recently gave her 6ml of LA200 antibiotic.
Dewormed. And gave her injection of vitamins B, D, and E.
She's on hay as well as cracked corn/ sweet fed/ wheat mids. Each day. She's in a group of 16 weanlings, most larger than her. I separate her to feed her alone. Because on one occasion she was pushed into the trough, and nearly died there before I got back. I've moved her entire group to a location with a heated water tank, because I was concerned maybe drinking pond water was holding her back.
She hasn't bloated in a couple weeks, but she still has trouble standing, shes always behind the herd, and must be checked and helped every morning or would probably lay and die.
She does eat, chew her cud, drink, ect. Just very slowly, and if somebody bumps her, shed probably fall right over.
Any thoughts? Anything I could do to improve her strength?

I'm sorry but I wouln't spend any more money on her. Time to cut your losses. She won't get better in my opinion. Just a matter of time before you find her dead in the pasture.

Seems to me a calf at 9 months that only weighs 300 lbs would have some sort of chronic issue to begin with, and I would question what kind of mature animal she would be even if she did survive. I hate to be the pessimist, but this doesn't look like it will end well.

bird dog":1ftnpwvz said:
I'm sorry but I wouln't spend any more money on her. Time to cut your losses. She won't get better in my opinion. Just a matter of time before you find her dead in the pasture.

To be honest, these were my thoughts exactly.
Since the vet bill of $150 I've been trying to see her through, but if she won't improve regardless anything more is a waste.

Sorry for your situation, but I would cut my losses and put her down. The fact that she is only around 300 pounds at 9 months of age is a bad sign from a number of sides. No value as a breeder and little to no value as a meat animal. She probably has a lot of things -- not good things -- going on. Again, sorry, and wishing you better luck.

I agree with everyone else's prognosis unfortunately. I would just like to point out that 6ml of LA200 (assuming it is 200mg/ml of Oxytetracycline) is way under dose even for a daily dose. My calculations it would treat a 120lb animal daily or a 80lb animal as a long acting injection. It is important to give antibiotics at the correct dose both for their efficacy and to not to encourage the development of resistance. Don't give the authorities ammunition to make these drugs unavailable.

Ken

Latest posts