Weak Calf Won't Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

designsbyjerry

Reaction score
I had a cow that had mastitis when her calf was born...and the calf couldn't nurse. He went about 3 days without nursing before we realized he wasn't nursing.

We gave him colustrum but vet said it was probably too late.

After lots of hard work we finally got the calf to nurse a bottle. For about a month he would lay in his barn all day and we had to force him to drink the milk.

Finally he started drinking his bottle with vigor...but we couldn't get him to move. We finally forced him to start walking around the pen and within a week he was showing signs of being stronger.

Now he loves his milk and comes running to us when we enter the pen, but we cannot get him to eat feed and he doesnt' eat grass. I'm not even sure he drinks his water until we go and swish our hands in the water...then he drinks.

I'm concerned he could have some brain damage, but don't want to give up on him.

We have even started mixing his feed in a bowl of his milk. Sometimes he will eat the feed, but other times he just sucks out the milk and leaves the feed in the bowl.

He's about 6 weeks old now...Any suggestions. I just don't want to give up on this baby.

Thanks,

Jerry

That little guy had a lot to overcome. Just my thoughts here, but I would keep doing exactly what you are doing.

Is the calf gaining weight?

You said sometimes he'll eat the feed with the milk on it...keep doing that. And, get some of that calf feed that has the anise in it. Msscamp said something about feed that smelled like licorice, and I tried it...and it works. I was at Tractor Supply and saw Manna Pro Calf Manna, it said it had anise in it so I bought a small bag just for grins...and the calf I was having trouble getting to eat feed liked it.

Keep giving him the bottles...he needs the nourishment. What I've done that works well for me is give calves a full complement of milk replacer in 3 pints of water, twice a day. That way, when they get done eating, the feel a bit less full. He's six weeks old, so scours shouldn't, note here I didn't say won't, but they shouldn't come into play...so cutting back on the water in the milk replacer shouldn't, again I didn't so won't, but shouldn't be a problem.

If he's up and wanting his bottle and acting like he feels well, don't worry about it too much. He should catch up. He just had a rough start...and I commend you for bringing him this far along. You must have worked your tails off!

Alice

Yes....he is gaining some weight. And strong enough that took two of us to hold him today to give him a shot for coughing...LOL.....He legs at first were kind of strange, like there was a joint problem, but that seems to have diminished. His back legs at times are still a little weak.

I just worry because I'm afraid I'm not doing something I need to do go give him the proper nutrition. He's like my baby now. If he lives....probably will have a home forever here...LOL.

designsbyjerry":2uk62996 said:
Yes....he is gaining some weight. And strong enough that took two of us to hold him today to give him a shot for coughing...LOL.....He legs at first were kind of strange, like there was a joint problem, but that seems to have diminished. His back legs at times are still a little weak.

I just worry because I'm afraid I'm not doing something I need to do go give him the proper nutrition. He's like my baby now. If he lives....probably will have a home forever here...LOL.

G&L Cattle said give him a shot of B12, and I agree with that...wished I'd thought of that, Mr. G&L. Also, I'd give him a shot of Vit. AE&D and squirt some Probios in his mouth on a regular basis, especially after you give him any antibiotics.

And, keep up the good work...there's a great deal of satisfaction in bringing a baby calf that had a start like this around. And yeah, I'd be attached to the little darlin' myself by now. :)

Let us know how he does.

Alice

Hi, welcome to the board, sorry about your calf. Have you taken his temperature? I see where he is coughing. Is he getting a respiratory problem? Maybe??? I;d keep giving his milk, keep offering him feed. Sometimes it takes awhile. He doesn;t have any scours( diarrhea) ???It may take him longer to get stronger. Sometimes, you have to play it by ear. Look at the patient(calf) See how he acts. etc But, the people on this board are willing and able to help you, You have to check the signs and symptoms, and be able to relay it to ones here on the boards. Alice and G & L cattle are giving you good advice. Be viligant and diligant. Questions?? Keep asking them, I think I worried my vets to death, until I found the boards. They gave me aid that my vets didn;t think of , but agreed to after I asked them, i consider the vets in Campbellsville, Kentucky some of the best. They didn;t seem to mind me asking them, many questions. I knew hardly anythink about cattle, I am the first to admit it. You may have to learn how to tube a calf in the future,.you never know. Sometimes, they will not take a bottle, at all. Always , find out how to do it correctly and use proper equipment. Sincerely Merry

Alice":19treqfk said:
Msscamp said something about feed that smelled like licorice, and I tried it...and it works. I was at Tractor Supply and saw Manna Pro Calf Manna, it said it had anise in it so I bought a small bag just for grins...and the calf I was having trouble getting to eat feed liked it.

Oh ye of little faith! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alice

DesignsbyJerry, what type of feed are you offering this little guy? Is he your only calf or do you have another one that is eating well that you could put him in with? A lot of times, the easiest way to teach a calf to eat is to put him in with another similiar sized or slightly bigger calf that is already eating. Added advantage - it gives him some company since cattle are herd animals.

get him a buddy that knows how to eat. he will learn from him once he figures out that groceries dont magically appear in the refrigerator.

DesignsbyJerry, what type of feed are you offering this little guy? Is he your only calf or do you have another one that is eating well that you could put him in with? A lot of times, the easiest way to teach a calf to eat is to put him in with another similiar sized or slightly bigger calf that is already eating. Added advantage - it gives him some company since cattle are herd animals.

We currently have a 3 week old heifer calf in with a 3 month old calf here next to the house for that very reason...she is learning very well and has become the older heifer's shadow. Alice and I never put a calf by itself anymore.

Great advice msscamp... ;-)

Van

Latest posts