We aren't all potheads, but we are all cokeheads!

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Wastewater tests reveal Canadians' drug use

MONTREAL—A pilot project that analyzed wastewater in five major urban centres suggests Canadians' may use drugs differently depending on which city they call home.

For example, the analysis by Statistics Canada showed cannabis levels are much higher in Montreal and Halifax than in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton.

But the findings reported Monday showed methamphetamine levels were significantly higher in the latter two cities. Methamphetamine levels were particularly low in Halifax—six times lower than in Toronto, the next-lowest city.

Cocaine use, on the other hand, appeared more evenly distributed across the cities, averaging 340 grams per million people per week.

"While Montreal and Halifax reported the highest levels of cannabis metabolite, they had among the lowest levels of methamphetamine, suggesting that even large cities within the same country may have distinct drug-use profiles," the report read.

To get results, the agency collected wastewater samples from treatment plants in each of the five major cities between March 2018 and February 2019 and tested them for traces of cannabis and a dozen other drugs. Samples were taken every 30 minutes each day for a week, with the data used to estimate monthly levels.

Statistics Canada said the combined test areas serve 8.4 million people, or about a fifth of the Canadian population.

For cannabis, researchers looked for a compound called THC-COOH, which is produced by the body when cannabis is metabolized.

The samples, which analyzed what is flushed down Canadian toilets, showed levels of this compound were 2.5 to 3.8 times higher in Montreal and Halifax than Vancouver, Toronto and Edmonton.

It also found consumption varied depending on the season, spiking in May, June, and December 2018.

The agency said the goal of the pilot project is to determine whether wastewater testing can be used to "efficiently and anonymously measure total societal use of specific drugs" and to guess the size of the drug market.

It could also be used to determine whether Canadians respond honestly when surveyed about drug use.

The study noted that a difference in trace drug levels between cities couldn't be attributed solely to differences in the level of drug consumption. Other factors, including drug potency and the condition of the sewers, could also affect the levels.

"For example, if cannabis edibles were more common in one city than another then the city excretion rates would differ since edibles have a different excretion rate than smoked cannabis; or if the sewer systems had different residence times and microbial environments, then they could have different degradation," the report stated.

However, the report said the impact of these differences was likely to be small and that differences in drug consumption were by far the likeliest factor.

While the results look promising, the agency said more research is needed to improve the precision of the technique and to determine whether it could be used to test for other things, such as infectious disease and environmental contaminants.

Stocker Steve said:
But what about the poor fish ?

For the number of cities in the country that dump raw sewage into the waterways, fish are the last thing they are concerned about. The lower Great Lakes are nothing but big sewage lagoons.

Stocker Steve said:

Be advised that Canada has always talked a good story, but traditionally eastern Canada especially - to most Canadians that means east of Toronto to that Atlantic - and ESPECIALLY all of Quebec - and Vancouver and Victoria - the lefty cities of the west coast - they ALL dump a lot of stuff in to the water with no treatment.

They then stand on their pedestal and point fingers at YOU and tell you that YOU are a bad person for what you are doing and hope you do not notice the hypocrisy.

There are some companies that take all the schitte out of the sewage lagoons, dry it and advertise it is excellent soil enhancer.

NEVER PUT THAT ON YOUR GROUND!!!

You can not trust the Canadian government to do the right thing. Especially when money and language (french) is involved.

There are all sorts of drugs involved in that water.

Coke, marijuana, birth control pills, prescription medicines and more.

In fact there is essentially NOTHING that can be removed from the water and the soil - so if you take that soil, you put all that "stuff" on your ground.

If a sales guy comes buy tell him to get the (*^% off your property.

Best to all.

Stocker Steve said:

Very few spoiled, arrogant, entitled and smug Canadian city dwellers care about the fish and the water. They only talk a good story when it pleases them.

Aaron said:
Wastewater tests reveal Canadians' drug use

MONTREAL—A pilot project that analyzed wastewater in five major urban centres suggests Canadians' may use drugs differently depending on which city they call home.

For example, the analysis by Statistics Canada showed cannabis levels are much higher in Montreal and Halifax than in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton.

But the findings reported Monday showed methamphetamine levels were significantly higher in the latter two cities. Methamphetamine levels were particularly low in Halifax—six times lower than in Toronto, the next-lowest city.

Cocaine use, on the other hand, appeared more evenly distributed across the cities, averaging 340 grams per million people per week.

"While Montreal and Halifax reported the highest levels of cannabis metabolite, they had among the lowest levels of methamphetamine, suggesting that even large cities within the same country may have distinct drug-use profiles," the report read.

To get results, the agency collected wastewater samples from treatment plants in each of the five major cities between March 2018 and February 2019 and tested them for traces of cannabis and a dozen other drugs. Samples were taken every 30 minutes each day for a week, with the data used to estimate monthly levels.

Statistics Canada said the combined test areas serve 8.4 million people, or about a fifth of the Canadian population.

For cannabis, researchers looked for a compound called THC-COOH, which is produced by the body when cannabis is metabolized.

The samples, which analyzed what is flushed down Canadian toilets, showed levels of this compound were 2.5 to 3.8 times higher in Montreal and Halifax than Vancouver, Toronto and Edmonton.

It also found consumption varied depending on the season, spiking in May, June, and December 2018.

The agency said the goal of the pilot project is to determine whether wastewater testing can be used to "efficiently and anonymously measure total societal use of specific drugs" and to guess the size of the drug market.

It could also be used to determine whether Canadians respond honestly when surveyed about drug use.

The study noted that a difference in trace drug levels between cities couldn't be attributed solely to differences in the level of drug consumption. Other factors, including drug potency and the condition of the sewers, could also affect the levels.

"For example, if cannabis edibles were more common in one city than another then the city excretion rates would differ since edibles have a different excretion rate than smoked cannabis; or if the sewer systems had different residence times and microbial environments, then they could have different degradation," the report stated.

However, the report said the impact of these differences was likely to be small and that differences in drug consumption were by far the likeliest factor.

While the results look promising, the agency said more research is needed to improve the precision of the technique and to determine whether it could be used to test for other things, such as infectious disease and environmental contaminants.

Time to stop eating all sea food it would seem

Son of Butch said:
No significant opioid epidemic worries in Canada?

No worries, opioids are working great for us. If you need some I'm sure Johnson & Johnson can hook you up...for a price...

Son of Butch said:

Massive issue. For example, in my group of high school friends, I am 31, there was 20 boys now men in the group. Of those 20 only 4 are alive. All others have been taken to drug abuse. Started with coke, went to oxycotin, then to fentanyl. Last year I went to 8 funerals. 2 of them died together. Of the 4 that are still alive, 1 is still an addict, 3 are clean.

Son of Butch said:

In the cities, it is a major issue. And maybe even some rural areas. But as our family has never even considered drugs acceptable and there isn't even a case of an alcoholic within 3 generations of our extended family - we all say the same thing - let them die and clean up the herd. The amount of resources wasted by the health system on these people is ridiculous and compromises the level of care given to people truly in need.

Aaron said:
Son of Butch said:

In the cities, it is a major issue. And maybe even some rural areas. But as our family has never even considered drugs acceptable and there isn't even a case of an alcoholic within 3 generations of our extended family - we all say the same thing - let them die and clean up the herd. The amount of resources wasted by the health system on these people is ridiculous and compromises the level of care given to people truly in need.

Don't forget the doctors and hospitals that get them addicted in the first place. That's the part you are missing about the crisis. A lot of people that are addicted started from their doctor writing a prescription. My grandfather died at 86 with a massive addiction to oxytocin and fentanyl. He was given that addiction from his trusted doctor. My dad now has the same disease that got my grandfather started on the addiction and now they have prescribed him the same incredibly addictive drugs. Its not just street people that are addicted, its normal hardworking people as well.

cowgal604 said:
Aaron said:
Son of Butch said:

Don't forget the doctors and hospitals that get them addicted in the first place. That's the part you are missing about the crisis. A lot of people that are addicted started from their doctor writing a prescription. My grandfather died at 86 with a massive addiction to oxytocin and fentanyl. He was given that addiction from his trusted doctor. My dad now has the same disease that got my grandfather started on the addiction and now they have prescribed him the same incredibly addictive drugs. Its not just street people that are addicted, its normal hardworking people as well.

It is difficult to be prescribed the opiods here for pain. Protocol and paperwork follows. A lot of doctors here will recommend ibuprofen and only go beyond that if they have too. A lot of pharmacies don't even stock opiods, and have to special order.

Maybe Tyrone Biggums was just visiting Canada.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwlEPyi6Y4[/media]

Aaron said:
cowgal604 said:
Aaron said:

It is difficult to be prescribed the opiods here for pain. Protocol and paperwork follows. A lot of doctors here will recommend ibuprofen and only go beyond that if they have too. A lot of pharmacies don't even stock opiods, and have to special order.

I live in the same country as you. It's not as hard as you think. For example, my husband just had surgery last week for a minor minor procedure. He was sent home with 30 Percocet.

cowgal604 said:
Son of Butch said:

Massive issue. For example, in my group of high school friends, I am 31, there was 20 boys now men in the group. Of those 20 only 4 are alive. All others have been taken to drug abuse. Started with coke, went to oxycotin, then to fentanyl. Last year I went to 8 funerals. 2 of them died together. Of the 4 that are still alive, 1 is still an addict, 3 are clean.

Wow. Just . . . wow. So sad.

There was good discussion on this topic on radio while I was cutting hay last night. Apparently in last couple of years in Canada, opioids perscriptions have went down 10%, but deaths due to use has went up 36%. Main points were:

-that black market trade was likely the major factor in supply for abuse.
-opioids are and always will be #1 for acute pain, but doctors need to quit perscribing for chronic pain, when ibuprofen and acetaminophen work just fine.
-opioid deaths statistics are grouped together and not separated into those with an illness/pain and those who are just drug addicts, so it is unknown whether it is a health system problem or a social problem.
-drug companies cannot give incentives to doctors to push certain drugs on patients.
-doctors who perscribed opioids willy-nilly are being dealt with - see link below
https://globalnews.ca/news/5732453/saskatchewan-doctor-opioid-charges/

I think looking at prescriptions vs deaths in a given year is a meaningless statistic.. While people are on the prescribed drug they're probably not overdosing, that comes later, when they're getting it off the street... Same can be said about all sorts of policies (the economy?).. there's a delay from the implementation of something to when you see a result.

Last year, the son of a friend of mine, 20 years old, a little bit of a problem kid but not bad, was at a party, Smoked a joint outside, was found dead of fentanyl OD in the morning.

Perhaps I'm just too old school? I just don't see how it's such a problem to deal with it.. You're found dealing anything with a trace of fentanyl, mandatory life sentence.

cowgal604 said:
Son of Butch said:

That's staggering!.. I'm 41, there were about the same number of boys in my grad class, all alive today AFAIK