Watering at remote locations

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
How do you water your cattle at isolated or remote locations? Especially if you have no electric. I have 3 shallow wells blown in and use a gas powered pump to fill tanks. Have small pond on one pasture that stays in water all year.

Around here I'd probably look into getting an old water tanker truck as the remote areas don't have any water whatsoever

We've used solar pumps. They're dependent on sunshine, so short days and clouds were a problem in winter, but we usually had enough rain to keep water in the creeks then. Our shallow well struggled to keep up, so we also ended up hauling in water. We have now developed additional springs and put in several 3000 gallon storage tanks and about 3 miles of underground PVC pipe. The springs are enough much of the year but we still supplement with a well that does have electricity for part of the year. This is all private contiguous land, so I know that's not practical in many situations. For us it was worth it. We did all the labor and rented the ditch witch.

My friend in South central Washington has a couple of drilled wells that are 200 feet or so deep with solar pumps. He has 3 or 4 troughs set in a series where the over flow runs to the next trough Here it is mostly developed springs. None of them run very fast. A decent one will do half a gallon a minute. But with an 800 gallon trough it will keep it full or close. It is pretty amazing the springs the old timers found and developed. I have five on my property. Six if you count the one that feeds the house. There are also some big old dry troughs scattered around. There must have been a spring that ran there at one time or another. On the BLM just west of me there are four troughs set in a series fed from one spring. It must be a mile from the spring to the last trough.

Nesikep said:
Around here I'd probably look into getting an old water tanker truck as the remote areas don't have any water whatsoever

That's exactly what one of our neighbors does. Fills it up from the creek & parks it next to the stock tank. Before we had wells & electricity in 2 of our pastures during the drought we hauled water from the lake every couple days.

One of my friends recently ordered a solar powered windmill for a remote pasture. Doesn't have it up 'n running yet so can't tell you if it's a viable alternative.

3 reliable and 3 or 4 not so reliable dirt tanks and pipelines, have 4 old gas tanks 6 to 8000 gal and an old town water tank, 20,000 gal. about 5 miles of 1.25 inch pipe and maybe a mile of inch.

Latest posts