Bull with lump at injection site

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
We administered antibiotics to a bull on Tuesday. We gave it IM in the neck region. Yesterday I noticed he had a large lump on the side of his neck around the area of the injection site. It was a larger dosage of antibiotics but we broke it up only putting small amounts in a certain site, but now he has this large, hard lump on the side of the neck. It doesn't seem to bother him at all as he continues to act normal. Should something be done for it or is just a matter of giving it time?

Kenny is spot on. Anything in the ocytet drug family will cause a reaction like that, and should be given sub Q.

SBMF 2015 said:
Kenny is spot on. Anything in the ocytet drug family will cause a reaction like that, and should be given sub Q.

I missed that it was given IM. I don't know of any antibiotic that I even consider giving IM.

And occasionally it will segue into an abscess and burst. Keep in mind, their necks are massive muscle and it's hard to give a bull anything SQ that won't cause some sort of lump. Mine got their annual vaccinations at the same time as their BSE (double whammy!) and it took about 3 weeks for the lumps to subside.

kenny thomas said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I missed that it was given IM. I don't know of any antibiotic that I even consider giving IM.

Really? Some antibiotics sub Q is off label. Off the top of my head Borgal is one. If I have a really sick calf that needs to be hit hard I'll give a half dose of Resflor IM for two days. IM absorption is much faster than Sub Q, so a half dose IM will get the medication to it's peak level more quickly, but it won't last as long thus the second half dose later.

Silver said:
kenny thomas said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Really? Some antibiotics sub Q is off label. Off the top of my head Borgal is one. If I have a really sick calf that needs to be hit hard I'll give a half dose of Resflor IM for two days. IM absorption is much faster than Sub Q, so a half dose IM will get the medication to it's peak level more quickly, but it won't last as long thus the second half dose later.

Resflor Gold is super thick! What gauge needle do you use IM? I use 16 x 1 SQ with a repeater syringe and it still goes in slow.

Silver said:
kenny thomas said:
SBMF 2015 said:

We don't have Borgal in the states.

Most of the IM antibiotics here are used more on the dairy side where daily injections for multiple days are no big deal and people want to have quicker absorption and shorter withdrawals. Penicillin, ampicillin, Excenel, etc.

So the real question is, what did the bull have ailing him that required a antibiotic and what was your drug of choice?

It always helps on SQ to massage the neck area to spread around the drug. Not sure if that would work on IM.

bird dog said:
So the real question is, what did the bull have ailing him that required a antibiotic and what was your drug of choice?

It always helps on SQ to massage the neck area to spread around the drug. Not sure if that would work on IM.

The bull was showing signs of acquiring pinkeye, so I gave him LA 300 sub q at the same time I also gave him 7 way IM in the neck as well. He was restrained in a squeeze chute and we did massage the neck. Hardest part was accessing a good area of the neck to give the shot as it was mostly blocked by the head gate.

TCRanch said:
Silver said:
kenny thomas said:

Resflor Gold is super thick! What gauge needle do you use IM? I use 16 x 1 SQ with a repeater syringe and it still goes in slow.

14 x 1 with Nuflor, hand syringe. In the winter we keep a LP heater next to the chute before we load cattle in the alley the thick stuff gets set out in front of the heat. By the 3 calf it flows like water. They get a little more jumpy if you get it to warm though.
Works well with oil based pour-ons too.

Silver said:
kenny thomas said:
SBMF 2015 said:

What active drug is Borgal?

SBMF 2015 said:
Silver said:
kenny thomas said:

What active drug is Borgal?

According to Drugs.com:

BORGAL contains trimethoprim (a synthetic antibacterial), and sulfadoxine (a sulfonamide). The two components of BORGAL produce a sequential double blockade of bacterial metabolism, giving a level of activity many times greater than that obtained from either drug alone.

I did have a steer at one point that after weaning was showing much distress, not eating, labored breathing etc. so I administered a dose of LA-200. I split it up too, and gave sub q, and it did leave a lump for about a month or so. Eventually went away on its own, with no problems.