Favorite old cow at the hospital

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Our son's cow, Fiona, has had udder problems with the last two calves. She developed severe mastitis and a fever on Monday. We did what we could and our local vet gave us some antibiotics, but she spiked a fever again, so I loaded her and her two month old calf in the trailer and took them to the vet hospital. It's a teaching hospital that is cheaper than our local vet, if you take them in because they want patients for their students to learn on. Anyway, she is already better. They are trying to work with us for a cheaper mastectomy. This old cow is worth it to us. Maybe some of you guys might laugh at us, but that's alright because we really like this old cow. We have enough money we made from reducing the herd down to three cows. She is the Nativity cow that all the kids love to hug on. She leads and loads better than most people's horses, and she has given us a lot of good steers over the years. Her last calf is a beautiful heifer with her easy-going temperament and, hopefully, the sire's dam's udder, lol! If not, I could probably train the baby to be a draft animal.

Pictures. This was last night. Temp was 103.5.

This was taken at the hospital after two liters were drained from the pendulous quarter.

I'm glad she's on the mend for you. I wouldn't worry about what others might think. She sounds like she's earned her keep and is part of the family. It seems like it's always the special ones that stuff happens to. Hopefully her calf will be a good one for you like her one day.

Okay. Wow, what a day.

Fiona is recovered and back in the stall next to Ursa. They can see and nuzzle, but not nurse. She had necrotic tissue inside that quarter, which was causing the recurrent fevers. She did well during surgery and the surgeon was quite pleased with the results. The culture is still pending, but they gave her a second dose of Exceed (first one was on Monday night). If the culture shows something different, we'll get another antibiotic to go home with her on Sunday. She will be in the horse barn, because it's cleaner. The baby will be on the other side of a gate, just outside of her stall. In about a week, this massive bandage that was glued on will come off. Our vet will come out and sedate her to get it off. We have straws from two outstanding bulls, so no need to worry about her being bred. She is a great auntie already to any little calf. Our other two breeding cows will be able to continue to enjoy her attention to them and their future calves. She has always been the rock of the herd.

Two month old Ursa is adorable and very friendly. Our son and I waited in the stall with her when Fiona was off for surgery. We pet her, let her suckle our fingers and lick us, and sang to her when she got restless (it worked; she went to sleep). She is going to be a neat cow when she grows up.

Not any other cow would have gotten this treatment, but Fiona is family. She made a lot of friends at the hospital because of her gentleness and cooperation.

There is nothing wrong with a "pet cow". It's when a farmer/rancher keeps every old cow as a pet cow. I buried my old guernsey milk cow. So, enjoy her, and be glad that you were in the position to do this for her too. Glad she seems to be doing better.

Some pictures of Ursa. I'll get some of Fiona when we pick her up.

They used a calf cart to keep Ursa near mama while she was being prepped for surgery.

Ursa waiting patiently with us for mama cow:

Ever seen a cow without an udder? Well, here you go.

Brought the heifer in to keep everyone from hollering. This is our whole herd now. Just the pets.

If anyone is wondering, initial culture came back Trueperella pyogenes. Very common cause of infection and inflammation in ruminants.

She is nine years old. Gave us seven calves. Dexters can live into their twenties, though.

Awesome, Nesikep! It will be interesting to see how long Fiona lives. I know calves take a bit out of them.

I also have two Dexters, a steer and a heifer, on permanent loan at children's barn at a popular zoo/park. They have no plans to breed the heifer. I wonder how long they'll live?

I agree. I have a pet cow that I actually ended up fixing. He's a steer now. Was supposed to be a bull. But when I knew I was keeping him as a pet I clipped him. He's a 3 year old shorthorn x angus steer and I love that little bugger like a dog! I moved him to one of my properties that's an hour away from me and its only been 3 days and im already on my way out to visit him. Call me crazy but I actually worry about him missing me haha!

Good on you. You are a great cow owner. They are lucky to have you. A local rancher told me the other day when he saw my pet steer "your compassion is a clear representation of the type of farmer you are".

The zoo/park has not had any trouble with the heifer, so I have no plans to spay her. She has good lines, actually. Plus, there's the cost.

Fiona is doing well. SHe's on stall rest with the calf beside her. They are eating calf manna and free choice hay. In a few days, I think I can hand walk FIona to get some grass. I know her rumen took a hit from the fasting and surgery, so that will help.

It is interesting what can be done for a cow. Never thought about it before. It is very nice to have a vet school nearby that goes easy on "food animals". The only funny part was when I called to get the dosage for banamine, once Fiona was home. She was given something for pain the first few days in the hospital. They told me they couldn't recommend any painkiller except via IV because of withdrawal times. He kept apologizing saying he knew she was a pet. I just thought it was funny. I called our regular vet to double check the dosage.

I've culled some and sent plenty to slaughter, so I don't know how good a farmer I am from your standpoint, cowgal604, but we did what we could for this cow. She was the exception, not the rule. I think it's neat that you have a steer for a pet. If you enjoy him, that's great. I've seen a few stories of people training steers to ride or as oxen and I admire their patience. Always wanted to try to train an ox.

I think the mark of a good cattleman is different. I always remember the "attend every birth" rule and try to follow it. Sometimes the cows outwit me, but I like to be there to make sure it goes well. With Dexters, it always has because they are known for ease of calving, but I'd hate to lose a calf out of complacency. That's an expensive loss. The heifer is due in two months. After that, we will AI, so no worries about Fiona getting pregnant. I also think the mark of a good cattleman are well-maintained fences that your cows actually stay inside of. Fence maintenance is so important. It is one of the biggest investments. I hate driving past a falling fence with livestock inside. Lastly, it's knowing your cattle. I knew Fiona had a fever when I saw her out the window. I've watched them enough to know their habits and routines. I know when the herd is upset by something. Any deviation from that means you should go check on them. It's much easier now with just three and no bull. I have a lot of respect for cattleman who know their animals.

Fiona is getting better. Our local vet removed the glue bandage last week and gave her some antibiotics. She is able to go into the paddock now. It has been brutally hot the last few days. I haltered her and the calf, led them out and tied them up outside the barn. Fiona looked so hot and miserable that I gave her an afternoon bath the other day. She stood still and quietly sighed with her eyes half closed as the water ran over her back. Funny how you see a different side of cows when they get so tame.

Latest posts