Water Troughs

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have newly leased land that has no water available for my cattle and I purchased a few troughs for the cattle and wondered if I should mix in some clorox into the water to try to keep it clean. crazy question I know because my cattle use to drink out of my pond.

I personaly don't do anything to the tanks to keep them clean. what i do is turn off the water when the get dirty and just clean them then.

I know of a vet that swears that clorine inhibits gut function and therefore decreases productivity. He's well respected around here(even by me and I like messing with vets :mrgreen: ) and alot of really high producing dairies that he services won't add any chlorine at all to their water.

chippie":3pwlz9w7 said:
I have goldfish in our troughs to eat the mosquito larvae.
I am going to try that for sure. What could it hurt? My daughter has been wanting pet fish for years now and what a perfect solution! Happy birthday by the way, I have enjoyed your posts.

skyhightree1":y9td7zrr said:
greybeard":y9td7zrr said:
I do. It made a lot of difference especially in the concrete tank we've had since I was a kid.
Got the info from:

http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/w ... ntrol.html

what kind of differences did it make for you?
Before, I was dumping and cleaning the tanks of algae and surface scum about every 2 weeks. So far this summer, I've only had to do it once.

greybeard":1mbagydb said:
skyhightree1":1mbagydb said:
greybeard":1mbagydb said:
I do. It made a lot of difference especially in the concrete tank we've had since I was a kid.
Got the info from:

http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/w ... ntrol.html

what kind of differences did it make for you?
Before, I was dumping and cleaning the tanks of algae and surface scum about every 2 weeks. So far this summer, I've only had to do it once.

Thanks for the info... I think I may try that . I dont want to have to scrub all the time.

i have tried goldfish....

but the coons and the bull frogs like em way to much and once discovered they don't last long. I had em get some pretty good sized ones too.....

tried little bream and sunfish from the pond and they did not survive in the water tank. not sure why. catfish got eaten just like the gold fish....

finally figuered that god wants me to grow algae.....so I do.

pdfangus":6o7wl2ro said:
i have tried goldfish....

but the coons and the bull frogs like em way to much and once discovered they don't last long. I had em get some pretty good sized ones too.....

tried little bream and sunfish from the pond and they did not survive in the water tank. not sure why. catfish got eaten just like the gold fish....

finally figuered that god wants me to grow algae.....so I do.
We had crawdads in the tanks and they did great but they didn;t eat much of the algae. Tried various fishes but they kept vanishing. On eafternoon aI went out and found some rassons perched on the edge of the tank fishing. Pretty well answered my question tight there.

I have a 55gal fish tank for the family in the livingroom.We catch differant fresh water little fish and breeding feeder fish.Its what we call the florida fish tank looks really cool.When we need to replace the water trough fish we get them out of the tank or our son and I net fish and crawdads out of the swamp and put them in the tank or water trough.Gives him a hobby and he has a blast.
Chet

Dumping an scrubbing is the best fix but to prolong doing that add 20 oz of bleach twice a week. Won't stop all algae growth but definitely keeps water clear an algae off the top of water