Timers for water troughs

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I have a ranch about 4 hrs west in central Texas.
My ponds are going dry, I have community water and have water faucets spaced out throughout the property.
I'm wanting to put timers on water troughs just in case a float was to stick and not shut off.
I figure I can turn the faucet down and put a timer valve on them.
Does anyone know of a reliable brand?
I would like for it to be solar. Where there's no electricity.

8A0EBD02-038A-4BA0-BE02-DAA1C2A5801E.png
It has a dial you turn to set run time. I think up to two hours. I bought two a couple years ago. One works great the other is junk but their cheap enough to buy more than you need.

My concern with solar timers or any timer is I would think they are designed to fail closed. If the timer fails no water.

Generally on lease property I use 1000 gallon trough with a float. I turn the water valve down to a small stream so a leak won't mean a huge loss of water. This keeps up with my 20- 30 head groups just fine. The long slow fill time also helps with freeze protection. And if there is a failure I would rather have water on the ground vs no water.
Sure a float could stick closed but it's generally the other way around with a float.

I have one that goes out there more often than I do.
And I have one of my workers that hunts out there and goes periodically.
That's all part of the plan.
I heard of timers for water valves, but I have never used them and would like more information.

Latest posts