Water treatment plant lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score
I asked my boss, who is on the water commision board, about the water treatment plant lime. He said he didn't think it was exactly lime, but rather some type of residue or "sludge". He said he will check into it further. I am talking about water treatment, not about sewage treatment.

Can anyone else out there tell me a bit more about it? I'm thinking that Kentucky lime is some of the cheapest in the country, that most people wouldn't bother with this other stuff.

riquezada":3rxfoo7g said:
I asked my boss, who is on the water commision board, about the water treatment plant lime. He said he didn't think it was exactly lime, but rather some type of residue or "sludge". He said he will check into it further. I am talking about water treatment, not about sewage treatment.

Can anyone else out there tell me a bit more about it? I'm thinking that Kentucky lime is some of the cheapest in the country, that most people wouldn't bother with this other stuff.

From what I understand. The water treatment plants here add some form of lime to the incoming water to raise the ph to kill the bad stuff. Then the water is separated from the bad stuff and lime residue. The residue is then sent to needy people to restore their soil ph to a preferably level.

We are on the list. One year and counting.

riquezada":173pqai4 said:

the water company came to me asking if i wanted some because they have to get rid of it i had them bring me a chemical analysis of it and i took it to the county extension office they told me if anything this stuff was better than regular ag lime plus its free

Worked at the water treatment plant in the military. We added lime and a caustic mix to help the impurities in the water coaggulate and settle out into filters once the flow was slowed down. I don't recall anything special about the lime. The AG extension should be able to tell you if it's OK, but I would imagine it's safe for pastures.

Latest posts