Water loged well

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple D

Reaction score
I have a permaline tank. The well is 440 ft. deep. The pump is set at about 400 ft. I think. The pump keeps jocying on and off. Like 40 to 60 psi in about two seconds. Any ideas? I here this is extremly hard on your pump. There is a sharder valve (?) in the line coming from the pump. I understand It's suposed to suck air in but it squirts water out. Thanks in advance.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Schrader valve is used to let the air out. You can only do this by pushing on the center needle in the valve. Once the air is out the valve should stay shut due to the water pressure behind it. If water is coming out or air for that matter without you pushing the center pin then the valve should be replaced. You can buy a core remover at any auto parts store and replace it with a new core purchased from the same store. I believe the are the same. The valve may be allowing the pressure to bleed off? Even though you replace this core you may have other problems. But this is the place to start.
There is also a valve in the system that prevents back flow. If this valve is bad the system will not hold pressure very long causing it to cycle more often. In this case you may have to call the water well guy as I believe this valve is in the bottom of the well, just at the top of the pump.

There should be air in the tank at roughly the PSI you want the water to be. The bladder has leaked and filled the air space with water. You can try shutting the pump off and letting the tank drain, then filling the bladder through the valve with a bicycle pump or compressor until it reads whatever your normal pressure is, but it will leak again. Give it a try, but you probably need a new tank.

Thanks for the help. The schrader valve only pushes water out when you press it in, so I'm pretty sure it's good. I'm told this tank doesn't have a blader. There is a plug on the side of the tank toward the top and when I remove it I get a large rush of air monentarily then the water comes out strong. Also just below that plug is another device in the tank which I belive is some sort of float switch, the gauge is screwed into that device. Thanks again.

Triple D":1onniznl said:
Thanks for the help. The schrader valve only pushes water out when you press it in, so I'm pretty sure it's good. I'm told this tank doesn't have a blader. There is a plug on the side of the tank toward the top and when I remove it I get a large rush of air monentarily then the water comes out strong. Also just below that plug is another device in the tank which I belive is some sort of float switch, the gauge is screwed into that device. Thanks again.

like was said before turn pump off drain tank and put air back in that should fix your problem I have a well I have to do this to about once a yr

Thanks for all the info. When the pump runs and shuts off there is plenty of air pressure in the tank, water too. But, soon as I open a valve the pump just keeps shutting on and off. The supplly line from the pump acts like it wants to jump out of the well casing. Can I just add the air in that schrader valve which is in line coming out of the supply line from the pump which is in between the pump and the tank? More thanks for the info. I guess I'll just call a well man and eat it. It's just time ain't good right now.

Did you drain some water off and put more air back in? 50psi?

This is a common problem for the older systems. You have to drain the water as the above have said. Then put back in the air. Over time the water will dissolve in the water and go away. A tank without a bladder or a busted bladder will need this treatment from time to time.

The folks above have given you the info you need.

I talked to a water well man yesterday about this. I was probably wrong on the check valve that I posted about. I agree with draining the tank and refilling. Putting 50 lbs. air into the tank seems pointless as there is a pressure switch on the system. Eventually the air pressure would be depicted by the setting on that valve. If you just refill the tank the air will have the same pressure as the water from the start.

The only time I had problems like that (every couple of months) was when the ants got into the pressure switch, kept it cycling on and off. Replaced the switch and problem went away

Thanks for the help. The well in only about 4 years old. I don't run it all the time, just when ponds are low and I have to fill water troughs. I also have water from it ran to my barn. I've checked the pressure switch and it's clean and seems to work fine. When I had the well dug the digger told me if I didn't run it all the time to drain it after I use it which I always have. I'm still not clear where to apply the air. The schrader valve is between the pump and the pressure switch and are both ahead of the tank of course. I'll just have to have someone out to check it for me. Thanks again.

Cycling that quick eliminates the check valve/foot valve as being bad. It would take a little longer between cycles if that was the case.

Could be umpteen different things. Hole rubbed in pipe going down to pump possibly. Could also be a wiring problem. Insufficient amperage will make the pump kick in and out also.

The well is a running again. Just cause the pressure gauge says the tank is empy, it ain't. Drained it, pulled the steam out of the schrader valve and it sucked air in for like 30 minutes and the tank could go on and drain completly. Put it all back together and all seems fine. Thanks again for all the tips.

I suggest a bladdered tank, the bigger the better really, adn it will have a schraeder valve on it which you should set the pressure to approximately the pressure of your system... you need some air space somewhere in your system, that's usually what the tank is for, so I'd guess that's where the problem is

Latest posts