well traveled bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
how do yall keep your bulls in with your cows and out of the neighbors cows? ive got god fence and a good bull but about every 6 months he will jump in with his (he doesnt care) hes a great guy and he calves year round so cows in heat all the time. this time im gonna leave my bull over there but if hes not back in a week ill go haul him back or just put in a gate and draw him back with feed

Electric fence. If it's hot enough that touching it makes your arm go numb, it'll hold him.

My yearling bull went missing the other week, I rang my neighbour Keith to ask if he had seen him. He said if he finds him he will let me know in a month. Anyhow he is now having a 6 wk holiday with Keiths 1st calvers.

Ken

Providing your fence is secure & well maintained bulls need to mind their manners and stay where they belong. Often a challenge for a variety of reasons. Once they learn to disregard fencing they become incorrigible & game's over as TCR noted.

If he's a really good bull, and you want to go to the trouble. Ring him then hang 12-18" of light gate chain on his ring. When he puts his head over the electric fence the chain will make contact.
We keep 8-10 bulls around all the time. I've only had to do this once, but it sure worked.

MurraysMutts said:
Be sure and test it just that way too....lol

Gawd that hurts

One day someone turned up to visit unexpectedly outside my paddock, so course went over, and while having a good yarn, forgot about the offset wire, it reminded me in milliseconds of why it was there and confirmed it was working quite well.....I have been learning my own lessons from own methods :)

Mostly my cattle are as weary of all fencing that I am, but that is not a fence jumping bull.

TBH, I would make a small area, or yard, put a really strong enegiser, and fence it same as what the boundaries are, keep the ground a little damp, he will learn real quick.

The ring and chain sounds like a good idea, but I would be worried about that chain snagging, anyways, one heifer I had liked to put head over the fences, so, on a small paddock, instead of a barbed top wire, it is a hot HT wire, she no longer puts her head over any fence, no matter what wire is there. She was over a year old when I did this.

I have seen a mob of heifers that had some fence breakers, seen one just run at the fence, not to go over, but just barge through it, the owner did not believe me when I told them. Fence looked really second hand after that !

Latest posts