warts on cows

Help Support CattleToday:

sbrumlow

Reaction score
papillomavirus In cows.

My neighbor has cattle and he said his bull has wart like things all over his body and in his ear. Approx. 15 +.

Do you have pictures of this virus and are we right to call the warts part of the virus?

run a search for my thread titled "cow problems for newbies" or something like that. There's pics of warts on there, and yes, they are caused by a virus.

Warts - often seen on the ears, neck, and face, but sometimes other locations on the animal as well
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/warts_I.JPG

Picture496.jpg

Photos curtisey of Milkmaid
@ http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ms+newbies

Keep in mind that most commercial wart vaccines are of limited value. If you have a large outbreak in your herd, it may be wise to remove some warts and present them to your vet , who then can make up a 'custom' vaccine.

If they are on just a few, you can either let them slaugh off by themselves in time, or take a pair of pliers and simply squeeze them whilst still on the animal. This in effect is supposed to force the animal to produce anitbodies to fight the wart virus and make the natural removal that much faster.

Although this is a virus that of course can be passed from one animal to another in the pasture, it is usually self limiting and effects only a few healthy animals at a time.

That being said, recent evidence does present itself that some strains of the wart virus can indeed be passed onto human hosts! rare but plausable. :cboy:

I have found that young bulls are more proned to getting warts than heifers. Have others experienced the same or is it just coincidence?

I have tried the squeeze with pliers method, but I doubt its effectiveness, they will fall off when they are good and ready and not before then.

KNERSIE":3if2wsvz said:
I have tried the squeeze with pliers method, but I doubt its effectiveness, they will fall off when they are good and ready and not before then.

It helps but it may be more of a having to do something so you can feel a sense of accomplishment. The rare times we've had warts I just ignorned them.
I did see a heifer that had warts that were having off the poor thing that were in masses the size of a wash tub. The side of her face and her neck. The ones on her neck hung lower then her brisket. A guy had bought her at the salebarn for a song, and it was probably off key at that. He ran her in the chute to vaccinate her and some of them tore. He stuck her in a back field and said he'ld get to her when he finished with the loads of calves he had just gotten in as feeders. He didn;t get to her for a couple of weeks and when he brought her up they were all gone. I thought he had brought in the wrong heifer, but ut was her. She had some scarring on her face and neck but that's it.

I get them sometimes on bought stockers. Never bothered with treating them cause it appears they just go away once the calf gets straightened out and on a good nutritional plane.

Jogeephus":2k5z20ru said:
I get them sometimes on bought stockers. Never bothered with treating them cause it appears they just go away once the calf gets straightened out and on a good nutritional plane.
If it is a nutrition problem why would one out of 5-10 get them
when they are all on the same feed plan (grass). Does anyone see them following a family line? The mother had them, the daughter had them, granddaughter has them on down the line?
I haven't tried to record this but am thinking a sidebar note would help my memory.

Never really thought about it but my impression is that bulls do get them more than heifers, or maybe it was just that this year the worst case I have seen in my herd was on a young bull. He had them so bad he could hardly open one eye. That was this spring, he has shed most of them now and you can hardly tell.

I have never treated them and don't notice them following family lines, although they don't show up that often. Maybe one or two animals every few years have them enough to be noticeable.

Interesting thread. I have little recourent problems with warts. However, I do come up with one occaisionally that we just can not get rid of them. Many vets reccomend feeding them back to the effected animal. They also reccomend that when we cut them off. we should actually "squeeze them off. Both work at times but In the past few years we have tried to get vaccines prepared from the actual warts off our affected animals. However the Vet says he can not find a lab that will do it on an indiviadual basis. Is this true. Who are the labs that will prepare a serum for one animal?

Avalon":v1364815 said:
By golly, that did me lots a good Alabama

The nekkid witch part?

Warts go away, period. One of my brangus heifers was eat up with them this year. I was beginning to get seriouslly worried about her right eye. The warts lingered longer on her than they have ever lingered on cattle in the past. She is clean now.

This year I had a terrible outbreak of ring worms right before vaccination and Ivomectrin injections. It affected all of the cattle. Never had it before here. Vet friend tells me it was all the rain and wet environment we got this year.

Latest posts