Wart Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
I've got a 2yo Angus heifer due w/ her 1st calf in June. In the last 6 weeks she's developed warts in her ears & on her face. Doesn't she seem old for this?. She had a few when we got her a a yearling & they went away like everyone else's. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Different strain of the wart virus. Years ago we had a vaccine made from the warts on one animal and vaccinated all of the others. Some of them still got warts a while later, different strain. Ugly, but different. We gave up on the vaccine and just let them run their course and never had warts again unless we brought in someone new from an outside herd.

dun

Thanks for the info. These do look a bit different than the ones I've seen on the youngsters. I'm trying to avoid having them on the weanlings that I will want to sell later this year as feeders & club calves. I don't see the warts on other peoples cattle (in public) and I wonder how people who show prevent them. I've had this heifer for a year & no new cattle have been introduced since then.

CWT Angus":7c6wopju said:
I've had this heifer for a year & no new cattle have been introduced since then.

It can come from contact with equipment/fence, soil, and probably wishful thinking. There are tons of treatments. Pull them off and feed them to the cow, crush some of them with a pair of pliars (which is not 2 filipino pilots), etc.
Crushing them works as well as anything, or them tearing them off on a feeder or tree or something.

dun

dun":25o8bihh said:
It can come from contact with equipment/fence, soil, and probably wishful thinking. There are tons of treatments. Pull them off and feed them to the cow, crush some of them with a pair of pliars (which is not 2 filipino pilots), etc.
Crushing them works as well as anything, or them tearing them off on a feeder or tree or something.

dun

We have done the shots in the past-- and last year, with our vets advice, began just pulling them off or cutting them off.

Got quicker results and they didn't grow back.

Found them mostly on top of neck area and flanks.

Let me try to repeat what I was told-----By pulling them off and causing the wart to bleed, forces the body to make antibodies to fight the wart virus--per our vet.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts