Warning to the Beginners and Wantabees.

Help Support CattleToday:

All in all I thought about 200 off. Calves were fine. Some reg. red Angus were the ones that went for 1100. Some good looking tigers went for 650, heavy bred.

Scotty

D.R. Cattle":3hasfgz2 said:
But go ahead and plan on penning her and calling the vet before she calves, unless you're better than me at sticking her inards back in after calving.
:lol2:

Sorry, Caustic. Didn't mean to laugh. I really doubt if you'll have to worry about that, anyway. Probably not really bred. A bull would have to be blind or drunk...... :lol2:

Texan,
i'm assuming you thought DR was talking abotu Caustics new cow with that quote, like i did at first. after rereading it a few times i realized he was talking about his prolapse cow that he is going to sell. Thats pretty funny what you said about the bull being blind or drunk though. Something about the cow looks amiss to me.

Beefy":fu3r9969 said:
Texan,
i'm assuming you thought DR was talking abotu Caustics new cow with that quote, like i did at first. after rereading it a few times i realized he was talking about his prolapse cow that he is going to sell. Thats pretty funny what you said about the bull being blind or drunk though. Something about the cow looks amiss to me.
Yeah, Beefy that is what I thought. But now I see what you're talking about. I think I'd rather have D.R.'s cow. :lol:

But for $380, I guess I'd take a chance on her too, Caustic. I've got a good idea for you, though. A sure way to come out ahead. One of these nights while your neighbor Campground is off cooking up fossil fuels, maybe you can trade with him? As long as she'll let him pet her, he probably wouldn't ever know the difference.

Caustic will get the last laugh 10 months from now, i'm sure. I bet she'll have a real pretty Charolais calf, huh Caustic? With a head that big, how could you NOT pet it?

Beefy":dlgbbyzd said:
Caustic will get the last laugh 10 months from now, i'm sure. I bet she'll have a real pretty Charolais calf, huh Caustic? With a head that big, how could you NOT pet it?

Ah Beefy you are correct as in a few months her and a calf will take that next ride. Heck if I sell her as a canner she will bring 350 to 400 and the calf will bring a buck a pound minimum.

Caustic Burno":3bgk2d9m said:
Beefy":3bgk2d9m said:

Ah Beefy you are correct as in a few months her and a calf will take that next ride. Heck if I sell her as a canner she will bring 350 to 400 and the calf will bring a buck a pound minimum.

At a $buck a pound, the head alone would bring $50 bucks on the baby calf. ;-)

That yellow whiteface calf will bring so much more money than what you're used to, I bet you'll run home and try to call Mike to order a bull.

Texan":1x45boyx said:
That yellow whiteface calf will bring so much more money than what you're used to, I bet you'll run home and try to call Mike to order a bull.

My bulls don't drink and are not blind. They might not breed that cow! ;-)

MikeC":3u2zqasr said:
Texan":3u2zqasr said:

That is why herefords are better they are breeding cows to make money when them Chars are turning up there nose.

MikeC":3ipsiz1q said:
Texan":3ipsiz1q said:

Caustic can put a paper sack on her head and point 'er towards the west.

Beefy":35uhi772 said:
MikeC":35uhi772 said:
Texan":35uhi772 said:

Where's he gonna find a sack that big? :lol:

Beefy":3nx48sb1 said:
MikeC":3nx48sb1 said:
Texan":3nx48sb1 said:

Now thats funny can't use a Char on her anyway can't breed two pallet heads a diaster waiting to happen.

It's like any other business that you don't need millions of dollars to start, and in which you have to compete with other average Joes- ya gotta pay attention to the small things and the pennies- and you can make a modest living.

I think the reason it's hard to make a buck in any non-millionaire business, is because too many of our neighbors are willing to work for free or even at a loss (whether they do so because they dont care- or whether they do it because they're too stupid to know that aren't making anything, doesn't really matter)- and it's hard to compete with that.

.....and unlike many other ventures...at least working with cows is enjoyable!

Sounds like how it was here for awhile. First drought then BSE. You are right Caustic you never know what you're going to be hit with. We were picking up some pairs that were only going about $200.00 more than the calves did in the fall because so many people just went broke. Some were really good cows too. A couple were a little on the old side but just like your cow they brought a profit when we sold them and their calves in the fall.

Caustic,
did you see any el cheapo gray brahman cows running through the sale? and if so, how el cheapo were they?

Latest posts