WARNING: Do not leave bottle water in you vehicle..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healtht ... spartandhp

A battery technician with the Idaho Power Company was on lunch break when he noticed smoke coming from beneath the center console of his truck. The culprit, he was surprised to learn, was a bottle of water. "I looked over and noticed light was being refracted through a water bottle and starting to catch the seat on fire," said Dioni Amuchastegui in a video shared on the company's Facebook page on July 13.

The evidence shows how dangerous leaving a plastic bottle in one's car on a sunny day can be: two burn marks were left on the seat of Dioni's vehicle.

Firefighters are warning drivers about the hazard, too. In a test conducted by Oklahoma's Midwest City Fire Department, sunlight magnified by a water bottle reached 250 degrees, news channel KFOR reports. "The sunlight will come through, when it's filled with liquid, and act as a magnifying glass as you would with regular optics," said MCFD's David Richardson.

The Scary Reason You Should Never Leave Bottled Water in Your Car
© Getty Images The Scary Reason You Should Never Leave Bottled Water in Your Car
"It uses the liquid and the clear material to develop a focused beam and sure enough, it can actually cause a fire, a combustion," Richardson explained.

What's the odds of that? And the police don't like you to be safe and have those amber fire-safe bottles in your vehicle. You just can't win it seems.

My daughter left a toy mirror in my truck once...mirror glass looked like it was made of tin foil.. Went into a burger joint and ate lunch... Came back out, and the sun had reflected off it,and burned my headliner..a little longer it would have burned the truck...

Nesikep":2osyfo0n said:
Fords don't even overheat when towing!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

As for the original post, I've been leaving bottles of water, in my vehicles, for many years. (as I usually have a dog with me). I guess I have been lucky, or maybe its that the bottles are usually on the floor, behind/under the driver's seat where the sun cannot get to them.

It never would have occurred to me, that a bottle of water, in a vehicle, would cause so much refraction as to start a fire. Anything is possible. :)

POSSIBLE, yes, many things are possible... are they likely? no.. At these probabilities, I'm sure there are far more effective ways to protect yourself.. like looking both ways before crossing a road an additional time will be far more rewarding

ga.prime":3v8nmvdp said:
The total eclipse of the sun will offer a safe time in which to keep bottled water in your vehicle.
.......but you better get appropriate eyewear or blindfold all your cows and pets so they don't go blind from looking at it....... :nod: Yep, I've seen the advisory to keep pets indoors so they don't go blind.

1982vett":13j3zug6 said:
ga.prime":13j3zug6 said:
The total eclipse of the sun will offer a safe time in which to keep bottled water in your vehicle.
.......but you better get appropriate eyewear or blindfold all your cows and pets so they don't go blind from looking at it....... :nod: Yep, I've seen the advisory to keep pets indoors so they don't go blind.

I've seen those as well.

Sure will make hunting season easier, all the game will have gone blind. Birds will be flying into objects. :lol2:

1982vett":1lxjhfd8 said:
ga.prime":1lxjhfd8 said:

good lord... well.. at least the pets aren't stupid enough to look at the sun, despite what their stupid owners think.. Of course their stupid owners will probably force them to look at it!

How many of you have ever seen a cow actually look up?

Nesikep":1xyxp33h said:
POSSIBLE, yes, many things are possible... are they likely? no.. At these probabilities, I'm sure there are far more effective ways to protect yourself.. like looking both ways before crossing a road an additional time will be far more rewarding

I feel the same. If we avoided everything that could possibly cause a negative event just to be completely safe, we would probably never leave the house; I'm not sure we would get out of bed.

Nothing against the original post. I actually find it very interesting, but I doubt I will change my water bottle/vehicle habits.

Yes, but it's a trend that's been becoming more and more popular over the last couple years.. needles under the handles of gas pumps, a million different scams, a million ways your drink could get poisoned at a bar, be scared to death of that person walking behind you, they're emptying your bank account and will rape you, you better phone the police on them now, and lets not forget the terrorists all over the place ready to bomb you.

Seriously, you're far more likely to get into a car accident than all of the above put together... Terrorism succeeds only when people are terrified, and the news has done a great job spreading that fear.. it especially succeeds when people WANT their freedoms taken away from them!

Me, of course I have things I want to do tomorrow, and would like to live to see them, but if my number is drawn for one of these crazy events, I think I've lived my life the way I wanted to, and won't go out owing any one an apology or anything else... I'll take the freedoms, please and thank you.

Latest posts