Warm seasons coming...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lbass

Reaction score
Soon to a field near you. Gamagrass is up as well as Johnson grass. People are clearing off their bermuda fields to let the sun shine in. I'll finish no-tilling my warm-season mix in the morning. First time I've mixed seeds together. First time for planting summer annuals for me. Kind of excited to see what they do, and more so how the cows do on them.

Not to bad for mixing 350# at a time with a rake directly in the seeder.

Well, what's the mix? I can see some corn and some pea or bean and maybe the small round is some forage sorghum?????
Whatever it is I hope it goes well for you. My experience with summer forages is they are very hungry on nutrients especially if you remove the forage by baling but then my soils are pretty low to start with.

Ken

Just finished up. Mix is whole Feed corn, BMR Forage Sorghum, BMR pearl millet, hybrid sudangrass, cow peas, laredo soybeans, Sunn Hemp... Planted the 1st, cows will start harvesting in september when it cools down a little. I Dont have any shade in those fields. But with the BMR and delayed maturity varieties, hopefully they still eat it.

This is a field that i'm trying to build the fertility, doesnt produce much (last year it made 30 grazing days per acre, the rye out there now has already doubled that) . I'll spoon feed it nitrogen in the fall if i feel the need (I limed last fall, P and K look good). I'ld like to graze one pass, broadcast ryegrass, then take it down starting first frost.

All sounds good in my head.

I just drilled in a similar mix last week.....(plus dakon radishes and small sunflower).....it's starting to pop already.....just need a good shower of rain to boost it along. Post some follow-ups if possible, especially on the fall play out.

I'm afraid the fall won't play out the way I dream. I may have to plant Oats early in the spring after strip grazing this winter instead of ryegrass. I'll try to post a follow up though. I'm putting in a 2 and 5 acre test plot on the 15th. One is a 5 way mix, the other a 16. Both from green cover seeds pre-mixed. Both have sunflower and look like they belong in a bird feeder.

Same thing here. Volunteer Rye decided to invade my Coastal patch so I just cut and baled it a couple of weeks ago and the Rye stragglers and my summer crop of Bermuda are moving right along....good, cheap, minimum work double cropping.

Seems early for emergence, but with hurricane moisture coming Monday night. Feeling pretty optimistic about the stand. I'm not sure the difference in corn and SS seedlings at that size. But if the Corn isn't coming it was only 14 dollars wasted.

Just like a light switch, it quit the spring rain every couple of days and bam, like a light switch....bone dry. Thought the tropical storm would bring a squirt or two but it went East of me.....utterly amazing that folks in the corn belt are getting tropical storm moisture....like if they lived on the coast.

They were screaming for 4 inches here night before last. Started posting flash flood warnings 2 days in advance. Got less than a .25... Dry the next 8 days i guess.

Latest posts