War Party Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The whorl is below the level of eyes, but this War Party calf is extremely docile. Most calves I have had are shy to some extent. Not this little guy. Calf born 9/1/14.
jpeljk.jpg

2vkhnh4.jpg

s2a79h.jpg

I finally figured this photo out you back talked the MRS. and now have to sleep with the livestock! Just kidding I love the picture doesn't look like your going to have any temperament problems with that calf.

gizmom

Better check him for brain damage. Can he do basic math? :D

I like them that way, though some complain they're too hard to move.

Those are the ones I like :).. I just really suck at taking selfies.. I will try though.

I find if I'm around them enough in the first couple days, they often stay tame.. if they're born and you aren't the first thing they see, and you don't spend some time with them that first day, they will usually be a little more skittish... Also has a lot to do with what momma is telling them of course.

As for moving them, that's what a halter is for ;) My bull calf last year was well broke, I led him on to the trailer, and then off it at his destination, he behaved perfectly

torogmc81, I am leaving him a bull. He is 1/4 SM and 3/4 AN. That percentage may not appeal to many producers. I will let him live and mature. I pursue this vocation to provide personal fulfillment. I have a deep curiosity about how this War Party calf will look when he is mature. Which brings up an issue! I am going to post another thread on the subject of "why we all pursue the vocation on a different path".

For those comments on the picture. First, there is nothing slow about this calf. He is alert and lively. As Nes commented, I started playing with him at birth. Realize that I just started AI a year and a half ago. I am now getting enough AI calves that I can occupy myself with them. I find it rewarding to be the instrument of their existence on this amazing place we call earth. Maybe that is the primary reason I employ AI. It is for my own gratification.

Second, if the weather is nice, I frequently love on my cattle. Platonic only. I know it provides them pleasure and I am gratified. I will recline where one of my cows lays down and enjoy her company while I scratch and groom her. They never complain but sometimes that make it obvious that they want more. :D

When I sat down beside Megadorus yesterday, I was scratching him and he proceeded to move around some. He was enjoying my company and I decided to do a selfie. As I was messing with the cell camera, he got a little uncomfortable and thought about getting up. When he did, he put his head on top of me and pushed me down. After he got his head on me, he settled down and I thought it was sweet how he laid there with his head reclining on me like I was a pillow.

In regard to moving my cattle: I have experienced problems with them balking. But that is not a serious issue for an old guy like me who has plenty of time and only a small herd. Much rather have that problem than a crazy cow or bull that wants to tear the place apart. I vaccinated my bull yesterday with a couple vaccines he needed. I just took my time and never got him excited and I never placed myself in danger. It took a little time but I waited until he decided that going through the sweep and alley was his idea. Man, I had the Preifert SO4 on the widest of the five holes and that guy never needed to be squeezed. I wish he had a bigger rear but he sure is wide!!!!

inyati13":1ij00snc said:
The whorl is below the level of eyes, but this War Party calf is extremely docile. Most calves I have had are shy to some extent. Not this little guy. Calf born 9/1/14.
jpeljk.jpg

2vkhnh4.jpg

s2a79h.jpg

Ron, to me that's not what I consider a whorl. A whorl to me has dot of bare skin and a flower clear around it like a tornado just touched down there. And it's bout 4" across. B&G

inyati13":2cwv165s said:
torogmc81, I am leaving him a bull. He is 1/4 SM and 3/4 AN. That percentage may not appeal to many producers. I will let him live and mature. I pursue this vocation to provide personal fulfillment. I have a deep curiosity about how this War Party calf will look when he is mature. Which brings up an issue! I am going to post another thread on the subject of "why we all pursue the vocation on a different path".

For those comments on the picture. First, there is nothing slow about this calf. He is alert and lively. As Nes commented, I started playing with him at birth. Realize that I just started AI a year and a half ago. I am now getting enough AI calves that I can occupy myself with them. I find it rewarding to be the instrument of their existence on this amazing place we call earth. Maybe that is the primary reason I employ AI. It is for my own gratification.

Second, if the weather is nice, I frequently love on my cattle. Platonic only. I know it provides them pleasure and I am gratified. I will recline where one of my cows lays down and enjoy her company while I scratch and groom her. They never complain but sometimes that make it obvious that they want more. :D

When I sat down beside Megadorus yesterday, I was scratching him and he proceeded to move around some. He was enjoying my company and I decided to do a selfie. As I was messing with the cell camera, he got a little uncomfortable and thought about getting up. When he did, he put his head on top of me and pushed me down. After he got his head on me, he settled down and I thought it was sweet how he laid there with his head reclining on me like I was a pillow.

In regard to moving my cattle: I have experienced problems with them balking. But that is not a serious issue for an old guy like me who has plenty of time and only a small herd. Much rather have that problem than a crazy cow or bull that wants to tear the place apart. I vaccinated my bull yesterday with a couple vaccines he needed. I just took my time and never got him excited and I never placed myself in danger. It took a little time but I waited until he decided that going through the sweep and alley was his idea. Man, I had the Preifert SO4 on the widest of the five holes and that guy never needed to be squeezed. I wish he had a bigger rear but he sure is wide!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more Ron. I'd be keeping him a bull as well. We are starting AI for the first time next month and next May.

How is he on a halter? It's a good time to start him on it!
My bull calf is 7 months now, has worn the halter for about a week, a really laid back guy, so a couple times now I tried to lead him a little, it was a little bit of a rodeo, but not bad, today the cows suddenly decided they wanted to be at the other end of the field and wandered off, I was left holding the bull calf, and he was alright with it. Once the cows got 100 ft away or so, I started to try to lead him, it went surprisingly well for a first attempt. I was using the chin chain to hold on to, and was pretty much able to control him with 2 fingers in the loop of it (no leash attached), but we did do a couple roundy-rounds. I consider being able to lead a 750 lb bull calf the first time with 2 fingers a pretty good success, and he was getting better by the time we got to the bottom of the field.
Rinse, repeat daily.. I'll see if he remembers todays lesson tomorrow!

Nesikep":29y4e1lk said:
How is he on a halter? It's a good time to start him on it!
My bull calf is 7 months now, has worn the halter for about a week, a really laid back guy, so a couple times now I tried to lead him a little, it was a little bit of a rodeo, but not bad, today the cows suddenly decided they wanted to be at the other end of the field and wandered off, I was left holding the bull calf, and he was alright with it. Once the cows got 100 ft away or so, I started to try to lead him, it went surprisingly well for a first attempt. I was using the chin chain to hold on to, and was pretty much able to control him with 2 fingers in the loop of it (no leash attached), but we did do a couple roundy-rounds. I consider being able to lead a 750 lb bull calf the first time with 2 fingers a pretty good success, and he was getting better by the time we got to the bottom of the field.
Rinse, repeat daily.. I'll see if he remembers todays lesson tomorrow!

Nes: I have not had him on a halter but I plan to.

Latest posts