want to learn

Help Support CattleToday:

6 inches!!? i have a mental image of cramped trees in need of thinning and a controlled burn. you should be able to burn underneath the 15 ft pines with no problem unless there is a lot of undergrowth. or have you been doing that already? how big are the oaks and what species? cows can do a lot of damage to a 4 ft tree, so i'd hold off on that. goats would be ok though. dont you have a lot of goats up that way? would like to see some pictures of the land.

I live about an hour from Lynchburg in Amelia county.
No I havent tried a controled burn there are too many pine needles and briars around for that im leaning toward the fenses and goats idea now.
As far as what species of oak mainly red oak and northern white oak and a lot of pine trees. I thought the smaller trees would get trampled by cows as well. The soil here is mostly hard red clay good for most high ascitic fruits and vegies,potato's and the like. A lot of corn and hay is grown around this area.

When I was a kid my dad and I built a compose pile. I raked up leaves,pine needles, pine cones decaying wood, and cow manure from a dairy farm and mixed it all togeather with the tiller and pitch fork turned it every weekend and then come spring planting we put it in the garden, im thinking of doing the same thing for my garden and for conditioning the rest of the soil.would this work? Im sorry I dont have a digital camera so I cant post pic's yet.

Latest posts