want to learn

Help Support CattleToday:

newguy

Reaction score
hello folks!!
Im 28 years old and dont know squat about cows or ranching but I would like to learn. I have no knowledge of cows at all. Im interested in learning about cow breeds, about how to know what a healthy cow looks like, what it takes to care for them how to butcher them and how and where to sell them. I would like to purchase approx 140 acres of raw land a build a ranch from the ground up. Right now its just a dream however, I would like to make it a reality one day. Im 28 years old and grew up in the big city in VA. I've been driving a truck for about 8 years now and fell in love with the western states and have allways wanted to own a cattle ranch and farm, but as I said I grew up in the innercity and dont know squat about either one. Im looking at west TEXAS as the place to buy my land as the soil is excellent for growing most anything and cheap to buy land.
PlEASE dont take me for a fool, I know the land is cheap because of the shortage of water, and the isolation from rural developement which is what im seeking. I would love to go to montana but I cant afford the higher prices and I have a wife and 3 children. I would like for my kids to grow up on a ranch and oneday have the chance to own and operate it for themselves and there families. Can anyone help me out by pointing me in the right direction to start learning? :help:

Storey's Guide to Raising...(beef cattle, pigs, goats, etc.) is a good book for a beginner! There is a lot of good insight here, but it seems like the same questions are asked over and over every week on the beginner's board--which is fine, don't get me wrong--but reading over posts and answers saves the same repeating conversations. If you have specific questions, you can do a search for that topic and see all the different opinions that have been voiced on it. If you don't see what you are looking for or want further information/details on it--feel free to reply or post on it! It sounds like you have a rewarding life in mind for your family but be forewarned folks say "if you want to make a small fortune in cattle--start with a large fortune!" Welcome to the boards!

Thank you for the information on the book. I have heard that saying before. I am afraid I have nothing resembling a small fortune just a dream and a desire for a better more rewarding life for my youngens or recking crew might better describe them ages 2weeks, 3years , and 4 years old all of them going on 40 :lol:. Most of the money goes towards diapers and formula etc the same old story you know! Thanks again for the info and the tip for finding other info on the forums.

West Texas covers a lot of ground, and some areas are vastly more suited for cattle ranching and "people living" than others. After the Civil War ( or as Campground knows it, the War of Northern Agression :D :D ) The Union officer General Phil Sheridan was stationed in west Texas and is famously remembered for a quote, to the effect of "If I owned all of hell and Texas, I'd live in hell and rent out Texas". Much of the "land" in west Texas no doubt prompted that comment. A lot of that good west Texas land will grow about a trillon tons of rock per acre and not much else. However, some of it is much better, and priced accordingly (Marfa, Davis mountains, etc.) If you decide to try to make a go of it raising cattle in west Texas (or anywhere else for that matter ) don't quit your "real" job and be sure to get an honest and experienced mentor that is very well acquainted with the specific area in which you are interested. Good luck to you.

newguy":2lyzbz52 said:
Thank you for the information on the book. I have heard that saying before. I am afraid I have nothing resembling a small fortune just a dream and a desire for a better more rewarding life for my youngens or recking crew might better describe them ages 2weeks, 3years , and 4 years old all of them going on 40 :lol:. Most of the money goes towards diapers and formula etc the same old story you know! Thanks again for the info and the tip for finding other info on the forums.
How do you make a small fortune farming? Start with a big one!
Welcome, and it is hard to start, and ALL of us know that. I started now, becuz all the cattle is cheap here ;-) , and I had help from my family, friends, and all the folks here! Thanks for all the help all you good samaritans!

You are coreect a lot of west texas is rock and mostly rock. I like the area south of amarilo down 287 they grow a ton of cotton down that way and some hay as well. Right now I live in va and have almost 16 acres not much at all I realize that,most of it is wooded acres. I have thought that I would start here by purchasing a calf or 2 and raising until time for slaughter partialy to learn with and too feed the family with later. Im also thinking of doing the same thing with hog's. I do know that most ranchers are diversified into more than just cow's for the slaughter houses. Dont put all of your egg's into one basket. What do you folks think about that idea?

Oh and as far as the union generals thoughts, What would you expect a yankee to say about TEXAS !!! :lol: :p

I think you have to diversify in order to survive, but you also have to prioritize. dont put all of your eggs in one basket, but make sure you can carry all of your baskets.

As Beefy mentioned, diversity is definately the key to survival. Cattle prices remind me of a roller coaster. Find other incomes that are not so market dependent, such as a second outside job, notice I said 'second'.

We raise cattle, llamas, trout, herbs. ginseng, and Christmas trees, and we often find that one or more of them are taking a loss from time to time.

Speaking of Yankee Generals, I have to wonder if Texas was so bad, why he decided to live there, after all, they still had all the the lovely north to stay? I spent several weeks in Hemhill directly after the Space Shuttle crash and was very impressed and delighted with the Great State of Texas! Even if I was on the swampy side.............

If you have 16 acres, you have plenty enough to get started. I am raising 8 hd on about the same acreage, and my land will probably support a few more. I sold my calves off but I am looking to buy a couple of more head this spring and will see how it goes. If we have 1/2 the rainfall we had last yr, I should be o k .

Right now I do have 15.96 acres the problem is that only about 2 acres of it is clear and thats where my house is the rest of my land is new growth mix of 5 year old pine and oak trees and let me not forget the briars.
As far as grass is concerned its mostly the yellowish colored weeds and the part of virginia that I live in is heavily populated with dairy cows mostly. The last 2 summers here water levels have fallen and a lot of wells dried up but knock on wood my wells were fine I have 3 big natural springs that run under my property. If I had the money I could possably acquire another 65 to 100 acres if things go well in the future that is what I want to do build this place up then try to make a start in texas or montana. That way I am diviersified and have multiple operations but all of this is just planning and dreaming right now.

Would I need to clear 10 acres or so to provide grazing land or could it stay wooded. How does your heard do on just 16 acres or so?

Here's another contrary view. Why clear trees? If you want to run cows, get land that's already cleared.

dun

because im not made of money the 15.96 acres is paid for I own it free and clear and dont have the money to purchase additional land right now nor do I have the funds to lease cleared land!

But I have a strong back and determination and a chainsaw or two.
And a brother in law for cheap labor :D

It would depend on "how wooded" it is. cows can do well in an agroforestry type environment, but they aint goats.

newguy":ii8mvkr6 said:
Right now I do have 15.96 acres the problem is that only about 2 acres of it is clear and thats where my house is the rest of my land is new growth mix of 5 year old pine and oak trees and let me not forget the briars.
As far as grass is concerned its mostly the yellowish colored weeds and the part of virginia that I live in is heavily populated with dairy cows mostly. The last 2 summers here water levels have fallen and a lot of wells dried up but knock on wood my wells were fine I have 3 big natural springs that run under my property. If I had the money I could possably acquire another 65 to 100 acres if things go well in the future that is what I want to do build this place up then try to make a start in texas or montana. That way I am diviersified and have multiple operations but all of this is just planning and dreaming right now.

Would I need to clear 10 acres or so to provide grazing land or could it stay wooded. How does your heard do on just 16 acres or so?

Fence it in (a good fence) and put some brush goats out there to help clean it up. :cboy:

You'll need the strong back. Grubbing roots is best left to equipment suited for it. Tried it manually and wasn't particularly pleased with the results. You'll need to consider the costs of liime, fertilizer and seed, probably some spraying too. That gets pretty pricey for a patch of woods to be turned into pasture. Long term the trees would probably have more dollar value then the land as pasture.

dun

as far as young pines go, theres a time period when nothing will grow under them but pinestraw and briars. i would probably fence it in, put some goats in there, thin the undesirable species of trees enough to allow some sundlight in , spray remaining weeds and establish some kind of shade tolerant grass. Bahia and pines work together well down here. And then limb the trees up as they grow and get some type of cow that will rustle like a hereford.

Beefy when we bought this place it was clear cut or rollover land with 3-4year old plantings of pine and oak about 6 inches apart.

Now the trees are about 15 ft tall and very close togeather on the backside and 4 ft tall on the front and sides with thick briar patches the deer run though it fine but 400-1000lb cows and bulls I dont know.

Hi newguy, what part of VA are you in that you've had dry conditions? We're in central VA and it hasn't dried up in the last two years (before that we had several years of drought though)...we cleared land during the drought and seeded, etc., then watched it all die...reseeded, fertilized, tried again...what I learned is that even with plenty of rain, it takes a year or two (or maybe three) to establish a pasture where there were once lots of trees....have continued to spread manure and try to get some organic matter on that soil, and it has helped....it takes time (and some money)....last summer we had a two-week period when it didn't rain and I was grateful, but I've also learned that you have to be careful what you wish for....

Gale

Latest posts