Want More Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Morning folks!

We are trying to locate a source for a semi-load of weed-free, fire-ant free, round bales to extend our spring supply. Type of hay we're looking for, delivered to our location (Zip 79095):
  • * Bermudagrass, prairie grass, or any "good" summer grass hay, or alfalfa.
    * Round bales 5 x 5 or 5 x 6
    * Weights 1200 to 1500#
    * Preferably Net Wrapped
    * Protein 10% or higher
    * 2006 Crop
    * NO fescue, straw hay, johnsongrass, or similar hay types
[/list]

However, will "consider" other hay types (i.e., Peanut hay, Hay Grazer, etc.) but must not be with any fireants or noxious weeds in it. Price relative to protein content and bale size.

You may contact us via e-mail or PM with type of hay and delivered price. I have serious hearing disability and can't understand people on the phone...the fun of getting older! :)

Thanks y'all!

Acouple of the people here that I buy from are getting some pretty decnt stuff coming out of the valley. Don't know how to tell you to find it though. Maye CB's link.Z

I routinely peruse the "Hay USA", "Noble Foundation", "Internet Hay Exchange," and a State of Texas Ag site for hay leads. Many of these leads are several months old. Also, if the advertiser doesn't have 1,000 or more round bales, I just assume their hay inventory is already sold (esp., those 50, 100, 200 bales for sale).

Some of the "better" resources don't deliver, and are too far away for less than semi loads for us to haul ourselves. Others, think too much about their hay and want $90 to $130 for a 1000 to 1200# bale that is average or worse quality.

I also don't follow-up hay producers that are in HIGH fireant areas...we don't have fireants in our region, don't want to bring any in here...

Curious, Why are you against "grain hay", We baled some 3x3 oat and cow pea hay that was a cover crop for Alfalfa and it tested at 125 RFV and on a ten sample retest four months later was holding at 117 RFV. Can't find the thing or I could give you all of the specs.

Best I can do is $120 for a 5 X 5 1/2 Round Bale (1500#) of Gardo Bluestem.

I am 658 miles south in southern Brazoria County. We will also have about 50,000 small square bales of Jiggs or Tifton 85.

If I can be of help let me know.

Jon B. Quick

521%20field3.jpg

Caustic Burno":21s6fh3w said:
Like you said you want hay, if those cows had a good case of hollow tail you wouldn't be so picky.

Yes, we want back-up sources of quality hay. We aren't desperate, however.

We've in years past tried "junk" hay (5-10% protein) and our 20% range cube costs hit the ceiling to supplement protein. I'll pay $100 a 5x6 (1200-1500#) round bale for quality hay any day before I'll pay $30-50 a bale for junk hay (at current supply/demand prices). The same was true for 5-8% bluestem we tried and 8-10% haygrazer, red top cane, etc.

Incidentally, we did find a source in Canada for 50:50 alfalfa & orchardgrass mix (with 12-14% protein) for the SAME price delivered here (semi-load) as we are currently paying for #1 quality bermuda (10-12% protein) locally. Go figure!

Overall, high quality hay probably costs LESS than poor hay in terms of Protein, RFV, TDN, etc.

Herefordcross":2twr2ho2 said:
Curious, Why are you against "grain hay", We baled some 3x3 oat and cow pea hay that was a cover crop for Alfalfa and it tested at 125 RFV and on a ten sample retest four months later was holding at 117 RFV. Can't find the thing or I could give you all of the specs.

I'm not against "grain hay" in principle. Bottomline for us is 10-14% protein needs (to save on protein supplements), cattle cleaning up a round bale, with minimal waste.