Wall ST. Journal Video about costs of keeping a cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

when I open it, on the right there is a video advertisement then the news story....on the left there are other stories to watch with joe the plumber being the first. Let the ad run first and the video should come on about mini cows....but i want you to pay attention to what she says it costs.....if my whole herd costs that much to keep im getting rid!

i dont knwo how they came to those numbers or how it penciled outthat they can feed 50 dexters compared to 5 angus herford crossess when they were running 30 to 40 angus x on 70 acres and are only running 80 dexters on 100 acres. Someone is smoking something pretty strong or cant add or do bookwork and know how to raise cattle and make a proffit. I think they added an extra zero on the end of each cause it costs about $350 to keep a full size cow but $64 fora dexter doesnt seem right either casue they are about half the size of a full size so their cost should be around $175. Another source for peta to get bad info to use against farmers and ranchers.

well if they were running 30 to 40 hd of cattle on 70 acres therefore lies the problem or else I need to move there and buy lots of land I don't know of any land that you can run a cow calf pair per 2 acres on a yrly basis without high supplementation therefore raising the cost of production
In Missouri we figure 4-5 acres per cow calf pair

OK so maybe the extra zero added is the problem there but it wasn't a misprint it is verbal. Then the 5 to 50 ratio doesn't make sense either. AND I OWN DEXTERS! LOL

I can't get it to come up, but is there a place to comment? If there is, we should do that and point out actual costs. The WSJ doesn't know any better if we don't tell them.

Angus Cowman":1h3ssuhc said:
well if they were running 30 to 40 hd of cattle on 70 acres therefore lies the problem or else I need to move there and buy lots of land I don't know of any land that you can run a cow calf pair per 2 acres on a yrly basis without high supplementation therefore raising the cost of production
In Missouri we figure 4-5 acres per cow calf pair

Angus Cowman, in my area, middle TN, 2 acres/cow calf pair is realistic with fertilized pasture. I hay part of my pasture in the spring for one cutting. Last yr. because of drought I bought 10 rolls of hay. First time since 1991. I don't supplement with anything else.