Waiting on Cows to Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Is worse than watching grass grow or paint dry. I got at least one starting to do the deal, tight bag, mucus plug hanging. Other two are "thinking" about it. And of course solid day of rain on top of snow. So, you know, ideal conditions. :clap: We do have a spot for them to get out of it in, but that's only if they choose to do so.

Bestoutwest said:
Is worse than watching grass grow or paint dry. I got at least one starting to do the deal, tight bag, mucus plug hanging. Other two are "thinking" about it. And of course solid day of rain on top of snow. So, you know, ideal conditions. :clap: We do have a spot for them to get out of it in, but that's only if they choose to do so.
They never choose too do so...think of the worst spot they could go to calve..and look there first..

My first is due Mar 1st.. but they aren't good at reading calendars... got a few with 2 weeks to go and they're wide and flabby.

The watched pot never calves
The watched cow never boils
Meh, you get the idea

What you are supposed to do is lock them into the safe spot they are supposed to calve in, and go to bed. But maybe that is just me.

Best, Keep your darned snow and rain over there!
Snowed 4" last night, ice under that... not looking forward to this crap melting.. Missed my window for scourgard vaccination, was too darned cold.. grrr

Nesikep said:
Snowed 4" last night, ice under that... not looking forward to this crap melting.. Missed my window for scourgard vaccination, was too darned cold.. grrr

Should find a pic to upload of my 12 and 14 year old daughters helping scourguard at -20, lol. We had to keep cycling out the syringes cause they would freeze up even though we kept them in a cooler with a hot water bottle between animals. Everyone was happy when it was over.

Rydero said:
Nesikep said:

Should find a pic to upload of my 12 and 14 year old daughters helping scourguard at -20, lol. We had to keep cycling out the syringes cause they would freeze up even though we kept them in a cooler with a hot water bottle between animals. Everyone was happy when it was over.

I'm looking at getting an oral alternative for the calves.. I don't have the equipment/manpower to go through vaccination at that temp.
Oh, first calf is due tomorrow, after tomorrow, weatherman says it's going to dip to -10, currently 33 and snowing

Nesikep said:
Rydero said:
Nesikep said:

I'm looking at getting an oral alternative for the calves.. I don't have the equipment/manpower to go through vaccination at that temp.
Oh, first calf is due tomorrow, after tomorrow, weatherman says it's going to dip to -10, currently 33 and snowing

Saw on here there's a bolus for calves that I'd never heard of, may have to check it out for next year. But I was also thinking about giving 8 way vaccine to cows at same time as scour guard so antibodies will be in the colostrum. I'll be seeing the vet at some point soon I imagine, I'll see what she figures. Start date for heifers is the 4th but they don't have a calendar so we're already doing night checks. -27 C overnight last night and next couple days we have highs of -18, really hoping they hold off a bit longer because it looks like the weather will be breaking any time now.

True Grit Farms said:
Best as I can tell no calves last night.

Still nothing. Not that I'm complaining. The sun is out currently, so maybe things will dry out and improve a little here.

I had my first one an hour ago.. could tell she was getting serious about it, just unsteady on her legs, etc.. moved her into her own pen, went to the shop for 20 minutes, came back and she was licking a little heifer off.

Now that she's dried off she has a touch of roan on her flanks. Looks well built so far. She's nicely bedded down in some hay, Momma finally got her fill and stopped eating the @#$## bedding

I had another calf yesterday morning, bull calf.. today I put them all in the same pen, didn't take long before there was some hopping and stiff legged running, exploring the great big world... those two are going to be raising cain before long!

FINALLY! Had a calf to Hickok today. Will know more when I get home. My wife just sent me a message saying everything went fine, cow is good, calf was getting up. Weather is good today. I'll take it.

I'm still sweating a heifer that's 5 days past due according to the 283 day chart. Thinking about hitting her with some dex to get things moving along.

slick4591 said:
I'm still sweating a heifer that's 5 days past due according to the 283 day chart. Thinking about hitting her with some dex to get things moving along.

I just had three heifers calve and all around 290 days. All calved easily. One was 94 pound and dry and fed when i found them. Recently learnt how to attach photos, see if i can remember... this heifer is actually from an American sire.

20190313-112435.jpg

Latest posts