Waiting for the ice

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
We're averaging around 5 calves a day this last week. Watched 2 enter the world at dark last night, in pouring rain at 38 degrees. We'll go out and see what tragedies we have this morning.. 2 inches of rain yesterday, expecting an inch of something today. Just hope its not ice. :?

I hate calving in ice and cold rain. We had snow and -25 wind chill this week when I had a bull calf drop.

Had the first of the spring calves come Friday. I am sure he would have crawled back in if possible.
Good luck and I hope all your new arrivals do well.

Waiting for the ice too....Looking out my office window, mine are using the house as a windbreak right now...a little light drizzle is falling and it's 32 degrees. I have several heifers close to calving also. The last one last week waited till after the wet weather to calve. Don't know if these will. They are looking really close.

Nice view out the window Vett! It looks like you have some grass too. I'm not too far from you but you'll get a bit more ice than we will. I have bales out but only have one left. Dread having to go pick up more if needed.

they say we are supposed to get ice sometime today or tonite.hope you dont have any calves born today.we have 2 cows getting ready to calve.im hoping they will hold off though.

We got 2 inches of rain with temps over night of 33. One of the calves born last night never stood, was dead when we got to him. He was a 100 pound sim cross, usually slower to get around and it cost him. We lost a preemie born a few weeks ago at the hay bale. She was so tiny, maybe 30 pounds but was doing very good. Someone stepped on her, found her mashed into the mud under hay.. Had 3 born this morning, the other born last night was fine. Have one stranded in high water, but has some dry land to lay on. Mother is protesting going to him, not sure what we'll do with that. Probably chase her to him. Have one stranded at a gully that is full of water now with a new calf. Other cows have left her. We put a square bale near her in hopes she doesnt take her newborn across deep cold water. We'll go back out after lunch....hate days like this...

Dang the luck cowgirl8. Good luck with them going forward. Good to see you posting again.

James T":chcoaweb said:
Nice view out the window Vett! It looks like you have some grass too. I'm not too far from you but you'll get a bit more ice than we will. I have bales out but only have one left. Dread having to go pick up more if needed.
The sunshine and near 80 degree temps the past couple weeks has awakened the ryegrass a little. Cows have kept up with the pastures all winter. The oats started showing signs of rust several weeks ago so I opened up and let them have it. Haven't put hay out in about 2 weeks. Spring grass is their just waiting for an opportunity.

We spend from sun up to sun down in that tiny japanese truck going from one herd to the next. Broke down once from flooding the engine out, but were only incapacitated for around 20 minutes. The thought of walking did not make me happy. We ended up doing a swift water rescue of the calf stranded in the bottom flood waters. He looked dead, he was laying on his side. He was a week old sim calf whose mother is one of those hiders. I had been playing a game with her all week letting her think i wasnt finding him. His bright white face gave him away every time. Saw him early yesterday standing at the rushing water, but thought we'd give her a chance to go to him or feed him and she might have been, she wasnt going to let us know one way or another. But at the end of the day, he was there and now laying on his side. We got a extension ladder, some 1 x 12s, spanned the rushing creek. Luckily my husband thought it might be important to put a rope around the calf to make sure he didnt fall into the water. And good thing he did, the calf was not lifeless AT ALL. At a good 120ish pounds, he put on a good rodeo when stood. His mother is one of our bigger cows and came running when he called her. In the end, it all worked out and he was out of danger.
I think we ended up with around 5 new ones born yesterday, but at least it wasnt pouring ran and 33. We didnt get much snow or ice and the wind stopped. All the animals looked miserable.
Branguscowgirl, that tiny preemie is one we lost. She laid down at the hay bales and was trampled. She had struggled so much and was doing really good. She was just too tiny..I'm sure whomever stepped on her never felt her under their feet.

Woke up to pouring rain and 31 degrees. This may be the event they didnt predict. Seems all the bad weather we've ever had was not predicted. What we heard today was 4 inches of snow late morning, but would melt off fast. How did that turn into freezing rain?

Here in northeast missour were looking at 5-9 inches of really dry snow starting mid day lasting all night with 20mph wind. Lows thus night of -5 wind chill of 20-30 below and about the same sat. Oh and more snow coming in over the weekend but wont even give us an idea what its packing till this one is over. The snow drifts really bad around here so its going to be hurry up and feed up as much hay as i can today
:mad: its almost march having dec or jan weather :help: :bang:

well its snowing here this morning.so we will see if we get the 4 inches of snow they are predicting.

bigbull338":fvnnqbg8 said:
well its snowing here this morning.so we will see if we get the 4 inches of snow they are predicting.

Been snowing heavy since 7:45. Suspect at least 3 inchs and still coming down but not the amount previous.

Latest posts