Wait and see?

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":wbxj0bmd said:
NonTypicalCPA":wbxj0bmd said:
In this case do you get to a point where you put her down to avoid suffering? Or let it run its course?
Both & then some. We took one in for slaughter - she was still really fat & the burger was actually awesome. Generally try to put them down as soon as they completely go off feed, are no longer nursing or are suffering. Had one diagnosed without many symptoms and she died 2 days later. Took one in, she still looked pretty good & the vet suggested we take her to the sale barn that day (also sold her calf).
My current girl & her calf were with the herd this morning, she was grazing & did eat some cubes. Calf is still nursing although it doesn't look like she's producing as much.
Why don't you sell the pair now?

True Grit Farms":kiotk7g8 said:
TCRanch":kiotk7g8 said:
NonTypicalCPA":kiotk7g8 said:
In this case do you get to a point where you put her down to avoid suffering? Or let it run its course?
Both & then some. We took one in for slaughter - she was still really fat & the burger was actually awesome. Generally try to put them down as soon as they completely go off feed, are no longer nursing or are suffering. Had one diagnosed without many symptoms and she died 2 days later. Took one in, she still looked pretty good & the vet suggested we take her to the sale barn that day (also sold her calf).
My current girl & her calf were with the herd this morning, she was grazing & did eat some cubes. Calf is still nursing although it doesn't look like she's producing as much.
Withdrawal period for Resflor Gold is 38 days. I seriously doubt she'll make it that long. She's been one of my best cows, I've retained most of her heifers (they always pelvic measure great & breed like clockwork) and she's earned the right to be buried where she was born & raised.

Workinonit Farm":58bjxufo said:
TCRanch":58bjxufo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":58bjxufo said:
Sorry to hear that. I do not have any experience with hardware, so do not have any advice.
………... Adding to that, this property hadn't been surveyed since 1879 & they had a tendency to bury old fence, junk, essentially everything - which eventually resurfaces.

Similar situation here, without the tornadoes. I'm forever picking up bits & pieces of old nails, screws & whatnot. Some parts of the place, there are small sections of washing machines and trucks poking out of the dirt. There's an old Apache truck, up on the hill with a Paradise tree growing through the engine compartment.

As for the cow, it doesn't sound good, from what you've observed & posted. I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm glad to hear that, for now anyway, she's still eating. I hope you're able to keep her/help her "limp along" long enough for the calf. I'm sorry that I am unable to offer up some advice or a helpful suggestion. Good luck with her.
Clearly this won't pull out a washing machine but we use one similar to it alllll the time. Oh, and the calf was born 3/2 so she'll be okay if she's weaned/orphaned early. Definitely plan on keeping her, one of my faves. :heart:
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-53418A-36- ... +on+wheels

TCRanch":396xo0fg said:
Clearly this won't pull out a washing machine but we use one similar to it alllll the time. Oh, and the calf was born 3/2 so she'll be okay if she's weaned/orphaned early. Definitely plan on keeping her, one of my faves. :heart:
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-53418A-36- ... +on+wheels

That's pretty slick! What I have used, is one of those that looks like a golf club. I also have on old magnet from a speaker, that I use. It has a very strong 'pull' to it. (although I don't think it would pull out a washing machine :lol2: )

TCRanch":2kos8b54 said:
True Grit Farms":2kos8b54 said:
TCRanch":2kos8b54 said:
Withdrawal period for Resflor Gold is 38 days. I seriously doubt she'll make it that long. She's been one of my best cows, I've retained most of her heifers (they always pelvic measure great & breed like clockwork) and she's earned the right to be buried where she was born & raised.
We sold two that we started with, had them named and all. I still miss them but I'd of missed them if I'd of had to bury them too.

:frowns: So sorry you're continuing to struggle to resolve the issues with your cow. Most would have given up long ago. Admire your perserverence to resolve her issue(s) and restore her health.
All due respect but dumping an ailing/unhealthy animal on the market place is anathema to good stewardship/stockmanship. Nuff said.

76 Bar":2yrsf1kq said:
:frowns: So sorry you're continuing to struggle to resolve the issues with your cow. Most would have given up long ago. Admire your perserverence to resolve her issue(s) and restore her health.
All due respect but dumping an ailing/unhealthy animal on the market place is anathema to good stewardship/stockmanship. Nuff said.
that's what they have slaughter pens for...they would be split at the yard and sold separately..

ALACOWMAN":z3pmjhh4 said:
I'd hate to lay it on hardware without knowing .you ever pulled blood on one?
Yes, previously but not with this one. Didn't want to take her in when she was already heat stressed but I went in, talked to the vet, showed him pics of her decline. He's very familiar with our herd & didn't want to rule out pneumonia (hence the Resflor Gold) but immediately thought it was hardware. Lymphoma is a possibility but no swollen lymph nodes or bulging eyes & her symptoms don't add up. Anaplasmosis was a thought but her eyes are clear, her vulva & gums are nice & pink. Still no drooling, coughing, watery/crusty eyes, snotty nose, poop looks relatively normal but a little too hard for this time of year. We don't have fescue, cherry trees, mint, clover, oak trees in any pasture. The only toxic forage (that I know of) is potentially johnsongrass but if that were the case the entire herd would be dead & the blue green algae in the lake has cleared.
Any other suggestions?

ALACOWMAN":10k5g3fz said:
76 Bar":10k5g3fz said:
that's what they have slaughter pens for...they would be split at the yard and sold separately..

Absolutely. One look and they would know but for what it's worth, I always tell them if a cow is strictly slaughter (hardware, mastitis, perpetual foot issues or just plain evil). They don't even bring them into the ring together.

76 Bar":2qn9tnpg said:
Thank you!

You're welcome TC. IMO, far too many producers are driven by a commodity mentality. That you've gone the extra mile in what is likely is a no win situation is admirable. :tiphat:

R.I.P. sweet girl. At least her calf is doing great. Waits for me at the cattle guard by the barnyard every morning for cubes. There's always another cow with her & then they take her back to the herd (after they score some goodies themselves). They just know - and they're taking care of her.

TCRanch":2fbe65qn said:
Nesikep":2fbe65qn said:
that's too bad.. good to hear the calf is alright though
Thanks, Nesi. It's never easy.
Mother of my bull was one of those strange cases.. I think she had a stroke.. disoriented, vet checked her out and didn't find anything wrong, blood work was perfect. It sucked.

Nesi, I'm fairly certain it was hardware. Notice the sagging under her jaw. Obviously can't tell from the pic but her front legs started swelling, her brisket did get a little bigger, her temp never went over 102 this past week. She would lay flat, not on her side, because it was easier for her to breathe. Amazingly she was lagging but kept up with the herd & still had a good appetite. But yesterday morning she was curled up, at first I thought she was asleep. At least she looked peaceful. And yes, it sucks, especially when I take precautions but clearly there are no guarantees.

TCRanch":2gz4t6ti said:
Nesi, I'm fairly certain it was hardware. Notice the sagging under her jaw. Obviously can't tell from the pic but her front legs started swelling, her brisket did get a little bigger, her temp never went over 102 this past week. She would lay flat, not on her side, because it was easier for her to breathe. Amazingly she was lagging but kept up with the herd & still had a good appetite. But yesterday morning she was curled up, at first I thought she was asleep. At least she looked peaceful. And yes, it sucks, especially when I take precautions but clearly there are no guarantees.

TC, sorry you lost her. I find it especially irritating, since you go to the trouble of getting a magnet in them and pick up all the bits & pieces you see. But, as you say, there are no guarantees. You've certainly done your 'due diligence'. I'm glad to hear the calf is doing well, and has a few nanny-cows to hang around with.

Latest posts