Wait and see?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dempster":239el7bf said:
She looks like she has a big brisket, hardware is a possibility. Anaplasmosis should also be a consideration in your part of the country when you see a depressed adult in the summer.
Ironically her mama died of hardware 5 years ago. Her brisket has always been pretty large (fat) but I think she's lost weight, making it more pronounced. Checked her vulva, gums & eyes yesterday for discoloration and she was still a healthy pink, no jaundice. But both hardware & anaplas are still possibilities - never say never!

BTW I was able to take her temp 'bout 15 minutes ago and it was up to 103.1. That said, it's 89/feels like 96 with 64% humidity & no breeze. Didn't want to press my luck by randomly taking temps of other cows but I'm assuming the heat/humidity would elevate their "normal" temp?

TCRanch":1yxzuyux said:
Dempster":1yxzuyux said:
She looks like she has a big brisket, hardware is a possibility. Anaplasmosis should also be a consideration in your part of the country when you see a depressed adult in the summer.
Ironically her mama died of hardware 5 years ago. Her brisket has always been pretty large (fat) but I think she's lost weight, making it more pronounced. Checked her vulva, gums & eyes yesterday for discoloration and she was still a healthy pink, no jaundice. But both hardware & anaplas are still possibilities - never say never!
Remembered this pic from 2.5 years ago. Even facing toward the camera you can tell she's got a hefty brisket.

Well, I'm calling this a case closed. She's back to 100%. I have no idea what was wrong (maybe something she ate disagreed with her?) but in 8 years I've never had to treat her for anything - she's never even had a limp - so seeing her droopy & away from the herd put me on high alert. Thanks for the support & suggestions! BTW I'm soooo keeping her calf as a replacement :heart:

Uh oh! So much for acting perfectly fine the past 3 weeks. Tongue was sticking out yesterday, clearly in heat distress. Got her to the barn with good cross ventilation, hosed her down & put the shop fan on her, seemed to do the trick. Temp was 102.4 at 6:30 this morning and I noticed the skin under her chin looks saggy. Even though she has a magnet, my vet said it's possible it passed, going back to the possibility of hardware but she most likely has pneumonia. 90cc Resflor Gold and another magnet. Wait and see again. :(

Dempster":3ia5hq8s said:
If she does have hardware, it's unlikely a magnet will help her.
You mean if it's already traveled through the reticulum and punctured her heart or liver? Been there before. None of the more common symptoms yet but she's still losing condition, not producing as much milk and I suspect she will continue to go downhill.

TCRanch":2h9m52r7 said:
Dempster":2h9m52r7 said:
If she does have hardware, it's unlikely a magnet will help her.
You mean if it's already traveled through the reticulum and punctured her heart or liver? Been there before. None of the more common symptoms yet but she's still losing condition, not producing as much milk and I suspect she will continue to go downhill.
I stand corrected. Hunching her back near her shoulders this afternoon & she wouldn't eat cubes. I give her 3 weeks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lzmfzjf said:
Sorry to hear that. I do not have any experience with hardware, so do not have any advice.
Unfortunately we do. Of the original 33 bred cows we bought we've lost 5 to hardware, this is the first cow born/raised here that (90% sure) has it. Were the original cows fed silage & the baling wire wasn't removed? Will never know. But we've also been hit twice by tornadoes at the barnyard; the damage is surreal & debris literally miles away. We do our best to pick up everything & have a huge magnet on wheels but it's simply not possible to get it all. Adding to that, this property hadn't been surveyed since 1879 & they had a tendency to bury old fence, junk, essentially everything - which eventually resurfaces.

Side note: both my preemies (that lived) were born to cows that died from hardware.

Do you put magnets in all your yearlings? Did you try the compass? Many dairymen automatically put magnets in their heifers. After a few years they check them with a compass to see if they need a new one.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":pbhxxlfr said:
Do you put magnets in all your yearlings? Did you try the compass? Many dairymen automatically put magnets in their heifers. After a few years they check them with a compass to see if they need a new one.
Every cow, bull & retained heifer has a magnet. If I sell a bull calf (private treaty) it also gets a magnet. The compass is a good idea next time we work them in Oct, thanks for the tip.

NonTypicalCPA":2kunox4e said:
In this case do you get to a point where you put her down to avoid suffering? Or let it run its course?
Both & then some. We took one in for slaughter - she was still really fat & the burger was actually awesome. Generally try to put them down as soon as they completely go off feed, are no longer nursing or are suffering. Had one diagnosed without many symptoms and she died 2 days later. Took one in, she still looked pretty good & the vet suggested we take her to the sale barn that day (also sold her calf).
My current girl & her calf were with the herd this morning, she was grazing & did eat some cubes. Calf is still nursing although it doesn't look like she's producing as much.

TCRanch":13gn7dym said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":13gn7dym said:
Sorry to hear that. I do not have any experience with hardware, so do not have any advice.
………... Adding to that, this property hadn't been surveyed since 1879 & they had a tendency to bury old fence, junk, essentially everything - which eventually resurfaces.

Similar situation here, without the tornadoes. I'm forever picking up bits & pieces of old nails, screws & whatnot. Some parts of the place, there are small sections of washing machines and trucks poking out of the dirt. There's an old Apache truck, up on the hill with a Paradise tree growing through the engine compartment.

As for the cow, it doesn't sound good, from what you've observed & posted. I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm glad to hear that, for now anyway, she's still eating. I hope you're able to keep her/help her "limp along" long enough for the calf. I'm sorry that I am unable to offer up some advice or a helpful suggestion. Good luck with her.

Latest posts