vet fees?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly":sresvrrr said:
I'm my own vet.
I'm pretty cheap...and worth every penny.
In the last ten years I havn't had a need for a professional [knock on wood]
When and if I do need one I haul my cattle to them.
They are cheap if you haul to them.
They are higher than a cats back if you make them come to you.

Hillbilly
You never need a health paper ?
You never need heifers calfhood vaccinated?
You never needed a controlled drug?

Jeanne.. it was the same way when we lived in northern Illinois.. none of the vets had working facilities, they always came to your place. Since we were in a dairy area, everyone had barns with staunchions, pens, etc.

When we moved to Texas, it freaked me out that the vets didn't make "house calls" and they wanted you to haul them in!

In regards to what vets charge.. I think we have to keep in mind that horses and small animals are more lucrative mostly because the animals are "pets" and owners don't mind spending more $$ on their care and health problems, whereas with cattle, many producers just ship the animal rather than spend the $$ on a vet call. If the vets charged as much as its worth for them to work on large meat animals, they probably wouldn't have many cases.

I give them a LOT of credit and respect.. it's sometimes a thankless and depressing job.

Got a good vet in Coweta. He doesn't like to make farm calls, but he is very reasonable. I think the one time I actually had to bring a calf to him, he charged me $25. I believe it was $10 or $15 for health papers for the show heifer.

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgery. As she
laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and
listened to the bird's chest.

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said: "I'm
so sorry, Cuddles has passed away."

The distressed owner wailed: "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure. The duck is dead," he replied.

How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean, you haven't done
any testing. He might just be in a coma."

The vet rolled his eyes and left the room, returning a few moments
later with a black labrador retriever. As the duck's owner looked on
in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on
the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then
looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog and took it out and returned with a beautiful
cat. The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed delicately at the
bird. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly
and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said: "I'm sorry, but as I said,
this is most definitely, 100 per cent certifiably, a dead duck."

Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and
produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$350!" she cried.
"$350 just to tell me my duck is dead?"

The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it, the
bill would have been $40, but what with the lab report and the cat
scan-"

Alan":k6u8odtc said:
Do you need a Vet to do your Bangs?

Yes, but Bangs vaccinations are voluntary in Texas. Testing is mandatory on cows and breeding age heifers when they are sold, unless they are going to slaughter.

Craig-TX

And I'm told by a usually reliable source there are some vets in Texas that have been known to sell the Bangs vaccine and tags to "experienced" cattlemen so that they can self-administer it to their heifers -- a pretty foolish practice IMHO.

And I'm told by a usually reliable source there are some vets in Texas that have been known to sell the Bangs vaccine and tags to "experienced" cattlemen so that they can self-administer it to their heifers -- a pretty foolish practice IMHO.

I agree, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen and a Vet without a license.

I was afraid that would get me into trouble.
We used to haul our home raised heifers in for bangs test.
We quit along time ago, we raise most of our own replacments so there are very few bangs tags on our farm.

No health papers necessary for us we are strickly commercial.

I've sold groups of cows as pairs and never been questioned.
I have noticed when they enter the ring the ring man says "These cows
were born and raised on Hillbillys farm".

As far as controlled drugs, I guess I've been lucky not to have needed any.

I have nothing against Vet's.
If I had one like Dun's I'd work his tail off.
Its just that I've noticed, every time I go to the vet I wind up spending money....That goes against my religion.

As far as that rabbies shot... I use a .22 caliber shot, works good.

Hillbilly

Bangs vaccinations are about the only thing I call the vet for and I only do that once a year. For controlled drugs I go to the vet's office and tell them what the symptoms are and generally which drug I want/need.
In the past every time the vet came out I watched what they did so I can do it myself next time. One of my neighbors who has a big dairy and thus works on lots of cows says that if it is something they can't do themselves and they have to call the vet that they just shoot the cow. It generally cost them less money. That is getting to be true for me too. If I can't fix or cure it the vet bill will probably be more than the cow is worth.
It is not that I begrudge them their fee. Like it has been said they went to school. They have expences to operate. But I can't make money by paying others to do things that I should be able to do.

Dave

Count me in with Hillbilly. If a controlled substance is an absolute necessity, there is a horse vet here that will help in some situations (rompum). She handles all our horses but won't tangle with a cow. No vets handling cows within an hour of us. No bangs necessary. All heifers coming to the ranch already have. Anything requiring serious medical attention grows wheels or gets a shot of hot lead behind the ear.

A walking w is a rope fashioned in a way that paralizes the cow.

hillbilly":38dc555t said:
As far as that rabbies shot... I use a .22 caliber shot, works good.

Is it safe to assume that you view the .22 as a cure on some dogs and a prevention measure on others? ha

Craig-TX

D.R. Cattle":s70tml2u said:
Walking W works when the animal is already immobilized.
They have to be caught enough to get the rope around them twice if that is what you mean. In an chute or ally or something.After you put the rope on back them out and lay them down.

Latest posts