Very light hanging weight from butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok here the deal we have been using this butcher fro about 2 years. We have only brought 4 steers to him so far. The second to last steer I thought the hanging weight was a little light so I made sure I weighed the last steer on a certified truck scale. The scale is only a few miles away so i know the weight is within a few lbs. The last steer weighed out at 1090 and was drivin to the butcher right off the scale. I called today and they are saying the hanging weight is only 570 which is only 2 lbs lighter than the last steer I thought was 1100lbs. That is only 52% of live weight. When I questioned it before he even said that steers are 60% and heifers are 58%. Now this guy has all the certs and has been around forever so I dont want to question him but something is up. Also he is the only guy around here in jersey. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or if this is even possible the 52 %. Also he does run a meat shop in the same building. Thanks Mike.

Stop by and ask him to weigh each side, make up some excuse like someone may want to buy a side. Looking at the sides you will be able to tell if he's trimmed anything off. Bear in mind that after it's hung for a period of time the weight will be a little lighter.

Thats what I was wondering. I dont want to call him out but I want to see it on the scale. I know the steer was right around 1090 so the 75lb difference in hanging weight bothers me. I mean thats 50lbs in finished meat that I could sell for 250. Is there any way that it could dress out at 53%. It was even a small framed black baldie so I know at 1100 he was meaty. Thanks Dun as always.

He would need to have a huge rumen fill to lose anywhere near that amount from weighing to slaughter.

Thats what I figured. So basically there is no way that im not getting screwed. The problem is he is the only usda guy within 2 hours.

When he weighs the sides with you thee ask him why he thinks thre is such a big loss.

shadyhollownj":269vyccj said:
Thats what I figured. So basically there is no way that im not getting screwed. The problem is he is the only usda guy within 2 hours.

Dun's idea about weighing the sides is the best solution. That way he is not suspicious. At least he can't say much.

It's sad to see the frequent trouble that people have had with butchers lately. It makes me feel more appreciative of my butcher.

I bring calves to a local butcher as well. They give me weights on the hoof, hanging, and finished/wrapped meat. I inspect every carcass while it's hanging before it's cut. I tell the butcher that I need all of this information to provide a better quality calf, which is true, but it also has the side effect of letting them know that I'm paying attention to every detail.

Dun's advice will help you solve this particular issue, but you may also want to think about working on ways to make it better next time. My guess is that if you give him frequent business (4 steers in 2 years is a decent amount) and he knows that your watching the details, there will be much less chance of "questionable" light weights.

Yesterdays National dressing % was 63.80% for steers and 63.72% for heifers. Now these are quality fed cattle. 1361# steers and 1206# heifers.
Historically in my feedlot lighter slaughter weights have yielded a lower % hanging. Canners will hang in that 52% range you are talking about.

shadyhollownj":2at4ye6b said:
The second to last steer I thought the hanging weight was a little light so I made sure I weighed the last steer on a certified truck scale. The scale is only a few miles away so i know the weight is within a few lbs.
Trying to get an accurate weight of less then 1% of the scales capacity, that jumps in 20 pound increments isn't really what the scale was made for.

Was there an overnight stay between delivery and slaughter? I have had one or two animals lose 75 lbs on an overnight stay. Can't really explain it but that was the difference between my liveweight one afternoon and the processors live weight the next morning. Both are good scales.

At 1090 lb (assuming that is correct) - 75 lb shrink x 60% = 609 lb hanging. Not that far from your 570 hanging, especially if your wt was based on a truck scale.

I would be careful about blaming the butcher. Stuff happens. jmho. Jim

Thanks for all the replys. As far as the scale it is a certified truck scale and I weigh all my animals that way. It is fairly accurate within 10 lbs. I know the scales I use them everyday for my construction company and I also got a weighted feed delivered and then took it to the scale to see how close it was. As far as time line the steer was on the scale and then 45 minutes later at the butcher. We are actually on schedule to bring him one or two steers a month this year so I want to get this problem solved. I actually got a spot in with another butcher for jan so I am bringing same breed, sex and size to two different butchers. We'll see what happens then. Also maybe to some folks a 40 difference in hanging weight isnt a big thing but I aint making a fortune selling freezer beef so a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. Thanks.

Dead weight on a truck scale can't be compared to live weight. You are trying to get a accurate weight of less than 1% of the scales capacity, worse yet it is a live weight. I've been across hundreds of truck scales with live weight, when you tell me that this truck scale is accurate within ten pounds on live weight, I will say that would be the only one in the country. You really need to find a better way of weighing your cattle, either that or you need to be standing there when they weigh the halves of beef, after all you said you think you have lost several hundred $, it would be worth your time.

Latest posts