Vermeer 5410 Cone Shaped Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

trailtec

Reaction score
I am on my third season with my Vermeer 5410 and still cannot get bales especially on a hill side to not come out cone shaped, I double windrow with a new holland 256 rake that fills the 4ft bale pickup, could it be something wrong with this baler, or that my windrow is just more dense on one side, please help if anyone has experience with this.

Your windrow is light on one side and you may be crowding the the baler to the heavy side of the windrow. Try moving the baler left to right then left right to left over the windrow. Really crowd one side for about 15 seconds and then crowd the other side for 15 seconds. See if this improves the bale.

hurleyjd":1fabic7c said:
Your windrow is light on one side and you may be crowding the the baler to the heavy side of the windrow. Try moving the baler left to right then left right to left over the windrow. Really crowd one side for about 15 seconds and then crowd the other side for 15 seconds. See if this improves the bale.
Proper windrows (raking) is about 75% of making good round bales

I have the 5420. I agree with hurleyjd that the windrow is light on one side. I use to have a JD that would show which side needed hay. The 5420 took some getting use to. Watch your windrow and spend more time crowding the light side than you do the side that is more full. It took better than 600 bales for mine to break in and start making a good bale every time.

You might check the belts. May not be the problem but Vermeer put cheaper two ply belts on from factory on my 5410. I was having problems making good bales and ordered new three ply belts with alligator clips. It was night and day difference. Haven't had a problem since.

We have a NH 630 roller. In the book it shows how to roll hay. Once it's started, drive to one side counting to 7 real slow. Then change to other side quickly and count to 7 slowly again and forth and back.

kickinbull":1drcs8ez said:
We have a NH 630 roller. In the book it shows how to roll hay. Once it's started, drive to one side counting to 7 real slow. Then change to other side quickly and count to 7 slowly again and forth and back.

When u rake the hay make the windrow just alittle wider than your pick up. It will still pull all the hay in and then all u have to do is drive straight and u will have a nice roll.

How many bales are on the monitor? I have owned Vermeer balers since 1988. The problem I see with not square top bales is driving to much and to far to one side. Keep the windrow between the tractor wheels, mostly center and bale. Also bale the same direction as much as possible as the hay is raked. Mechanically the only problem I could see causing this is either uneven belts, or a spring or cylinder weak on one side.

jltrent":39uww5an said:
How many bales are on the monitor? I have owned Vermeer balers since 1988. The problem I see with not square top bales is driving to much and to far to one side. Keep the windrow between the tractor wheels, mostly center and bale. Also bale the same direction as much as possible as the hay is raked. Mechanically the only problem I could see causing this is either uneven belts, or a spring or cylinder weak on one side.

I agree with you, more than likely the windrow shape/width. The windrow has more to do with bale shape than anything else.

I could see the belts having some affect on bale shape, but that should be easy to detect when empty. A weak spring/cylinder shouldn't have any affect on side-to-side shape, as both sides are acting upon the same tensioner arm assembly and it applies the same pressure to each belt.

We have the 5410 and were experiencing the same issue, spoke with Vermeer and a few others and found the remedy to the issue. Noticed a big difference when my dad or I am running the baler.
Broken Record: Really good advice from the other posts
#1 Windrow adjustment to either 4ft to fill up pickup or 2ft to allow for proper weaving without overfilling the center of bale. (Vermeer tech kept saying- big mistake by many farmers with a v-rake will not rake slow and this causes lose windrows, that is why a wheel rake makes a tighter windrow- no matter what rake- do not rake fast).
#2 When weaving make sure to allow as much equal time on each side and less time in middle of pickup.
#3 Another tip i got is to rake in the straightest as possible windrows.
#4 I pay special attention to making sure i try to bale in the direction that is easiest for me to turn and see the baler on the upside of the hill so that i can get the best throat feed from the hay.

Good luck and if needed you can call Vermeer directly.

Latest posts