vermeer baler question

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I think I remember someone here being good with Vermeer balers. I have a 554XL baler and I wish to add a full bale alarm. Are they hard to install? Best place to get an alarm? Dealer? thanks

farmguy said:
I think I remember someone here being good with Vermeer balers. I have a 554XL baler and I wish to add a full bale alarm. Are they hard to install? Best place to get an alarm? Dealer? thanks

Jltrent is the expert here. I will bump it up so he will see it when he comes back

kenny thomas said:
farmguy said:

Jltrent is the expert here. I will bump it up so he will see it when he comes back
Your baler should have the ACCU-TIE MONITOR and if the bale size POTENTIOMETER sensor is working it ought to alarm when the bale is full. Does you baler have the ACCU-TIE MONITOR as XL balers do? A couple members have that exact baler and maybe can help. I think some of those even have the ACCU-BALE PLUS MONITOR.

Doesn't it have to have a control monitor for it to work? Otherwise the tie system will not function correct.
But you may actually be able to wire it to a toggle switch. John can tell you more.

It ties with a simple switch in the cab that sends the arms across if flipped one way and the other way returns the arms.

Ok, my older Heston was like that. I had to watch it all the time. My Vermeer monitor does everything except dump the roll.
John will know if there is a way of adding it.

Dang Kenny you got more confidence than I do myself. :lol: He might can check with the dealer for options, but I feel pretty confident at least one member will have a good ideal.

Yow see the little pointer that tells you where the bale is on the right hand side of the baler. Maybe a micro roller switch on a bracket that the pointer arm would activate when it hit the bale size desired. Th switch bracket could have slotted holes to adjust to the size bale you want. Two wires to the terminals on the switch one to the positive side and the other to the negative side. A light wired into one of the wires to light up when you have the bale size you want. Mount the light somewhere it is visible. You could also wire a flasher in line for the light to flash. Or get one of the audible warning units to make noise to warn you. Hope this makes sense. I know I could do it but maybe not explain it in terms you could follow.

jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:
farmguy said:

Your baler should have the ACCU-TIE MONITOR and if the bale size POTENTIOMETER sensor is working it ought to alarm when the bale is full. Does you baler have the ACCU-TIE MONITOR as XL balers do? A couple members have that exact baler and maybe can help. I think some of those even have the ACCU-BALE PLUS MONITOR.

Mr Trent is correct those came with either or of the monitors he mention. I have a 554xl with the Accu tie. But the rollers also came set up to be able to tie a roll with just a toggle switch. If you don't have a monitor I would try and find one just for the auto tie. It's nice to be able to set what size roll you want and for it to tie automatically

In basic form, those balers came with a 3 position, spring-return-to-center toggle switch that was used manually to tie the bales. My father still has one. If you're wanting to add the Vermeer monitor (Accu-bale, etc.) then I'd suggest either pricing all of the parts new from Vermeer or finding a scrapped baler to rob everything from. Either way, it's going to be pretty involved - more so than I'd care to bother with.

One thing that can help a lot and prevent a lot of neck/head turning is mount a mirror on the tractor so you can see the bale size indicator. Although not as good as a bell it sure helps a lot.

While reading all of the responses I lost track of the original question. It wouldn't be hard to wire in a spring loaded switch to be activated by the tension roller arms on the side of the baler. Just be sure to engineer in plenty of adjustment to fine tune the timing of the switch, and to use a switch that will stand up to the conditions.

I checked with a dealer and these parts no longer available. So I think I will take some advise and have simple alarm when the indicator reaches a certain point. Thanks for the help.

farmguy said:
I saw that you got the baler without a monitor and are using a toggle switch to control the tie actuator, correct? So you are looking to add a light or buzzer or something to let you know when the bale is at a certain size, correct? If you get a mechanical limit switch (just has NO or NC contacts) you can splice power from the actuator 12VDC through the limit switch and back to a light or buzzer in the cab. I did in on a J series Vermeer back in the day. Just used a small junction box to mount the light on and run the wire in and mounted it on the tractor. Used all NEMA rated stuff (not IEC) and it held up for years stored outside.
I suggest using directautomation.com. They are low priced and will have everything you will need.
Something from this page should work: https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ders/limit_switches/eaton_nema_limit_switches. You may have to do a little searching to find a 30mm 12VDC LED indicator. I have swapped incandescent bulbs in 24VDC indicators for 12 volt with no problems. Mine was incandescent and I do not remember ever having to change the bulb but if you are banging it around a lot your results may vary.
Mount it so that the arm is triggered by the bale size indicator. I put mine on a piece of uni-strut so I could easily change bale size. Don't forget to fuse the circuit. :) Good luck and I hope you show us some pictures of what you come up with. If I can help feel free to ask.

dvcochran said:
farmguy said:
I saw that you got the baler without a monitor and are using a toggle switch to control the tie actuator, correct? So you are looking to add a light or buzzer or something to let you know when the bale is at a certain size, correct? If you get a mechanical limit switch (just has NO or NC contacts) you can splice power from the actuator 12VDC through the limit switch and back to a light or buzzer in the cab. I did in on a J series Vermeer back in the day. Just used a small junction box to mount the light on and run the wire in and mounted it on the tractor. Used all NEMA rated stuff (not IEC) and it held up for years stored outside.
I suggest using directautomation.com. They are low priced and will have everything you will need.
Something from this page should work: https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ders/limit_switches/eaton_nema_limit_switches. You may have to do a little searching to find a 30mm 12VDC LED indicator. I have swapped incandescent bulbs in 24VDC indicators for 12 volt with no problems. Mine was incandescent and I do not remember ever having to change the bulb but if you are banging it around a lot your results may vary.
Mount it so that the arm is triggered by the bale size indicator. I put mine on a piece of uni-strut so I could easily change bale size. Don't forget to fuse the circuit. :) Good luck and I hope you show us some pictures of what you come up with. If I can help feel free to ask.
Very good information...

farmguy said:
No monitors at all. I purchased it as it was a demo model.

But is it wired for one? Does it have the sensors but no wiring harness? Seems odd to me that it wouldn't have them, but I suppose it could have been a low tech budget baler.

1982vett said:
farmguy said:
No monitors at all. I purchased it as it was a demo model.

But is it wired for one? Does it have the sensors but no wiring harness? Seems odd to me that it wouldn't have them, but I suppose it could have been a low tech budget baler.
I agree, I can't say I have seen a XL baler without a monitor. But a limit switch and an indicator would be way cheaper than replacing the missing monitor, even assuming the baler side cable and components were all working.
Do you know if an XL uses reed switches like my I or something different? If reed switches he would have the switch and effector he needs in place and ready to go and baler side cabling it he figures out the wiring, which I highly suggest.
@farmguy , I strongly suggest getting an operator and service manual. You may have more existing parts than you realize.

Latest posts