Vermeer Roller Help

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What does this part do and do you think a hydraulic repair shop would have this seal? The tail gate will not open because all the hydraulic fluid is spraying out

Looks like a regular ole o-ring. You shouldn't have to much of a problem finding a replacement from a hydro shop. Looks like a way to adjust the speed of how fast your gate opens and closes.

A local auto parts store could probably match that up since you have the old one to go by.

Down in Dixie said:
Looks like a regular ole o-ring. You shouldn't have to much of a problem finding a replacement from a hydro shop. Looks like a way to adjust the speed of how fast your gate opens and closes.

There's no way of adjusting it that i see

pricefarm said:
Down in Dixie said:

There's no way of adjusting it that i see

Why would you want to adjust it? Just replace the o-rings. I believe it's a pressure relief valve, probably adjusted by backing off the jam nut and screwing the center in or out. But it shouldn't need adjusted if it was working prior to blowing the o-ring.

pricefarm said:
What does this part do and do you think a hydraulic repair shop would have this seal? The tail gate will not open because all the hydraulic fluid is spraying out

I would suspect that is the valve to adjust the bale density. To adjust back the nut off and screw the rod in or out. Looks like in the picture that there is a slot for a screw driver. Get the number from your baler and the serial number and call Vermeer and they will send you the parts and operator manual for your baler. Most tractor dealers will have a box of o-rings and can fit the rings that are right for the valve.

hurleyjd said:
pricefarm said:

I would suspect that is the valve to adjust the bale density. To adjust back the nut off and screw the rod in or out. Looks like in the picture that there is a slot for a screw driver. Get the number from your baler and the serial number and call Vermeer and they will send you the parts and operator manual for your baler. Most tractor dealers will have a box of o-rings and can fit the rings that are right for the valve.

Nope the bale density knob is on the other side.

What baler model is it? From the picture, if it's tied into the tailgate function I'm betting it releases pressure on the density cylinders to stop the belts from turning while dumping a bale if the baler has Drop 'N Go - meaning you don't have to cut the PTO off while dumping a roll.

Anyways, put some new o-rings on it and roll on.

cfpinz said:
What baler model is it? From the picture, if it's tied into the tailgate function I'm betting it releases pressure on the density cylinders to stop the belts from turning while dumping a bale if the baler has Drop 'N Go - meaning you don't have to cut the PTO off while dumping a roll.

Anyways, put some new o-rings on it and roll on.

It's a 554xl. You may be right it is a drop n go. I went by my local hydraulic shop and they fixed me up this morning and I finished rolling up the hay this evening.

To my knowledge, all of the XL's have Drop 'n Go. I'm betting that block controls the tension function.

Latest posts