Vermeer 5400

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I always hate a post this broad, but I am going in the morning to look at a Vermeer 5400. If the story holds to be true, it's rolled about 3000 bales. Issues with this model? Things to look for?

The man that has rolled my hay for the last 10 years or so, passed away this winter. Not really anybody else to get. Pretty much no choice, but get something.

I've rolled a few thousand since it burned. Put a couple of new bearings, all new pickup teeth and used belts on it. My 5400 is manual tie and that's about all I don't like about it. JLTRENT, told me to spray the bearings with PB BLASTER before I start baling every day, and so far I haven't had a bearing go out since I've been doing what he suggested.

I can't comment on the model, although I think that's the rebel series, and they seem to be liked pretty good. You can judge a baler pretty good usually by its appearance in my opinion, there are exceptions. Look at the sprockets, and the paint inside, and for anything thats come loose in the driveline area. Ask them to hook it up and turn on the pto, belts are expensive, bearings are cheap. If its been ran into posts or beat up, I'd pass. Plenty of good used balers out there, you just have to look. If the lower rollers are beat up,
thats a pretty good bargaining point.

I looked at them when I was looking to buy a baler. Whey have a good reputation. Does H and R sell parts there? I know Russellville did, guess they still do.

They all break, I went with NH for parts availability.

i bought one last year i'm still working out the kinks. Wants to not start a core.. gotta adjust everything to factory here before i start baling. .hopefully that works. I rolled about 300 rolls with it last year and they are good looking rolls.

simple baler and seems well built.

cowrancher75 said:
i bought one last year i'm still working out the kinks. Wants to not start a core.. gotta adjust everything to factory here before i start baling. .hopefully that works. I rolled about 300 rolls with it last year and they are good looking rolls.

simple baler and seems well built.

I bet the pick up teeth are wore out.

tom4018 said:
I looked at them when I was looking to buy a baler. Whey have a good reputation. Does H and R sell parts there? I know Russellville did, guess they still do.

They all break, I went with NH for parts availability.

I'd better call and ask this morning. I assumed they did, but I better make sure.

5400 is a well built baler, and very simple to fix when you have a problem. Not wanting to start a bale is a common problem when baling really dry, slick grass...especially so when the humidity is very low. The fix, straight from Vermeer, is a few layers of duct tape on the drive roll, and it works perfectly.

Had Vemeer 5400 that I bought used. Tried everything that Vermeer suggested to make it start a bale. Had a chance to sell it for $8500 and bought a 5410 with net for $10500. The 5410 is a good baler. They breakdown also. Daughter found me another 5410 and bought it for me. Now I can unhook from one and use the other if need be.

Farm Fence Solutions said:
5400 is a well built baler, and very simple to fix when you have a problem. Not wanting to start a bale is a common problem when baling really dry, slick grass...especially so when the humidity is very low. The fix, straight from Vermeer, is a few layers of duct tape on the drive roll, and it works perfectly.

thanks

Bigfoot said:
I always hate a post this broad, but I am going in the morning to look at a Vermeer 5400. If the story holds to be true, it's rolled about 3000 bales. Issues with this model? Things to look for?

The man that has rolled my hay for the last 10 years or so, passed away this winter. Not really anybody else to get. Pretty much no choice, but get something.

Check this out.https://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/11975-rebel-5400-belt-slip/

I actually bought it today. Not looking forward to rolling my own hay.

hurleyjd said:
Bigfoot said:

Check this out.https://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/11975-rebel-5400-belt-slip/
Some people don't know what their talking about, and can't read an owners manual. You definitely need to be careful getting a roll started, but once you do you can't clog a Vermeer 5400 up. They have to much distance between the pickup teeth and roller. I adjust my baler where the belts hardly turn, and I don't ever run the pto over 400. Your also supposed to turn the pto when you dump a bale. When you get a 5400 adjusted right it works excellent.

Bigfoot said:
I actually bought it today. Not looking forward to rolling my own hay.

If it is anything like my area one of the best things about rolling your own is you can do it when you want or need to do it. Had to wait on people here a lot. Granted it does have disadvantages but has advantages also.

hurleyjd said:
Had Vemeer 5400 that I bought used. Tried everything that Vermeer suggested to make it start a bale. Had a chance to sell it for $8500 and bought a 5410 with net for $10500. The 5410 is a good baler. They breakdown also. Daughter found me another 5410 and bought it for me. Now I can unhook from one and use the other if need be.
Does she need a husband?

what about welding some little 1/2" tabs onto the main driver roller to help 'push' that hay.

cowrancher75 said:
what about welding some little 1/2" tabs onto the main driver roller to help 'push' that hay.

Depending on what you mean by "tabs"...could cause a problem of hay sticking to the roller rather than being "pushed".

1982vett said:
cowrancher75 said:

Depending on what you mean by "tabs"...could cause a problem of hay sticking to the roller rather than being "pushed".

Someone at one time welded a bead the full length on all my drive roller ridges. Maybe that's why my 5400 works so good when it's set up and adjusted properly?

Neighbor did his 605L that way and hay would spit through because the welds hung onto the hay. He had to grind the roughness of the welds down. If you do weld make sure it's a good smooth surfaced weld or do some grinding to smoothe things up.

Latest posts