Vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man said:
ALACOWMAN said:
hurleyjd said:
Slant six in a Rambler?
American motors ..used every thing they could get.,they were like a box of chocolates...
My first car was an AMC made J 4000 Jeep pickup. It had a motercraft carb and Chevy seatbelts. I really wonder if AMC just raided the dumpster at the big three factories and built their cars out of whatever they found. 360 with a three speed in the floor. Tached 3500 rpm at 55 mph and got 5 mpg. I had to get rid of it when gas hit $3 and I was only making $6 an hour.
Yes, even as recently as 1984, the AMC Jeep Cherokees used motorcraft ignition modules too.

And this..
"Engine
Several engine options have been used in the J-Series pickups over the years including:

Kaiser 230 OHC I6 "Tornado"(63-66)
AMC 327 V8 "Vigilante" (65-66)
AMC 232 I6 (67-70)
Buick 350 V8 "Dauntless" (67-70)
AMC 258 I6 (71-end of J truck production)
AMC 304 V8 (71-73)
AMC 360 V8 2 bbl. (71-end)
AMC 360 V8 4 bbl. (74-end J-xx models)
AMC 401 V8 4 bbl. (74-end J-xx models)
Transmission
Transmissions options included:

Warner AS-8F 3 speed auto (63 only)
GM TH400 (64-79)
Warner T-89 3 spd. man. 2WD & 4WD >5600 GVW (63-?)
Warner T-90 3 spd. man. 4WD up to 5600 GVW (63-?)
Warner T-98A 4 spd. granny man. (all J-xxx & J-xxxx GVWs, 63-?)
Warner T-18 4 spd. man. (?)
Warner T-18A 4 spd. granny man. (?)
"

We had a '66 Rambler Classic sta wagon when I was still at home.
It too sucked gas like crazy but for awhile, I was really wanting to get an AMX or Javelin with the 401.
AMC, when they split the sheets from Packard, built their own 327, 4 or 5 yrs before GM introduced theirs, and the AMC 327 was a real gutsy engine.

greybeard said:
I waited most of my life to get a muncie 4 speed, and what was it in? An 84 2.5 4cyl Fiero... But that was a fun drive on a twisty road.
I was--still am 6'4" so getting in the corvette was a bit tricky, but only when the top was up. Getting in those Fieros was a lot harder and was the reason we got rid of the last of them in 2017. (At one time, I had 5 of them here)

PSA/FYI... You cannot put a powerglide into neutral, wind up a 283 as high as it will go and drop it into D.
You will leave powerglide parts and transmission fluid all over the pavement under the only redlight in some podunk little town near Little Rock and find yourself being towed back to Memphis across I-40 behind your buddy's 72 SS Camaro hooked together with the only thing either car had in their trunks..2 tire chains tied together....at 60-70mph. Try that today, they'd put you under the jail, but heck, it was about 3 in the morning and back then, that interstate was pretty empty.

I don't know how fast mine would go on the open road, as the speedo cable was 'sticky' and over 95, the needle bounced back and forth from about 85 to nearly 160 but I do know it wouldn't outrun a 12 cyl XKE.
I tried, for about 80 miles on I40 one fine Sunday afternoon and we leapfrogged back and forth for a while till he pulled up beside me for the 3rd or forth time, looked over right at me, smiled and waved bye bye and , as they say..he was gone.
it takes a lot to blow a power glide ..those things were tuff..even the drag racers use em..trying too remember the horse power in your vette ..I know in 62 the 327 came out...it was a game changer..

About 260 HP advertised if I remember right. I had the PP heads and a 4 bbl.
When I got the new powerglide with the shift kit in, I could still chirp tires if I nailed it at around 50-55 mph.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
My first car was a 1965 Ford Galaxy 500, 2.door hardtop. Automatic. 350hp. White with blue cloth interior. Wrapped it around a couple of fence posts and a bunch of barbed wire on rainy night. Until then, I wasn't familiar with the term hydroplaning.
Sometime, when I get time, I'm gonna put together a 65 or 66 Galaxie 500 2 door convertible.
Have checked with rebuild shops. Can fuel inject motors, all modernized options, including backup cameras, navigation, and other bells and whistles, $52 000.
Figure it worth that when I'm done with it, a new car would be worth nothing in10 or 15 years. GS

Caustic Burno said:
The cars back then you could tell the make and model rolling down the road
Today they all look like door stops.
their getting a lot of power outa little chunks of aluminum now though..and I hate to admit it,but I wouldn't want to put my chevelle ""as it was back then""..up against today's mini van..atleast red light,to red light. :lol2:

ALACOWMAN said:
Caustic Burno said:
The cars back then you could tell the make and model rolling down the road
Today they all look like door stops.
their getting a lot of power outa little chunks of aluminum now though..and I hate to admit it,but I wouldn't want to put my chevelle ""as it was back then""..up against today's mini van..atleast red light,to red light. :lol2:

I concur my 18 Z71 would smoke my 69 GTO light to light. I don't know about the 18 my last Silverado was governed at 100.
69 Goat would turn 105 to 110 in a quarter.

First vehicle I drove was Dad's old farm truck. A 1950 Chevrolet Pickup. It had no traction. If you got it off the road, it would not pull your pants down. The family farm was a mile back a side road. A poorly maintained gravel road. One morning, I had to go to the end of the road to meet someone for dad. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground. I was all over the road. It was my first experience learning to steer out of a fishtail. I don't think I ever had so much fun!

My first car was a '71 Cougar GT. 351 CJ, 4:11 rears. Now it's sitting out behind the house patiently waiting for me to fulfill my promise to restore her to her former glory.

images

I lived in South Carolina for a few years long time ago. Belonged to a Corvette club called the Dixie Vettes. Some of the guys told the story of a local who bought a '63 split window coupe. He was so unhappy about the split rear window he took it to a body shop and had it taken out. Now, a '63 split window coupe in good condition is worth at least $70,000.

ALACOWMAN said:
snoopdog said:
ALACOWMAN said:
actually a pretty rare car, with the BIg Block..had a RS/SS big block camaro for about a week and a half...before I left the engine scattered from my grandmaws to the gas station...it took me a couple of those rat engines before I figured out you couldnt twist them up as tight as a small block..
It held together for a couple of years, street racing, till I missed a gear, and flat spotted a rod bearing.

Here you go Cowman!

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1235648/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-for-sale-in-york-pennsylvania-17402

Caustic Burno said:
ALACOWMAN said:
snoopdog said:
It held together for a couple of years, street racing, till I missed a gear, and flat spotted a rod bearing.

Here you go Cowman!

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1235648/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-for-sale-in-york-pennsylvania-17402
Nice car,but we'd be about 40k apart...

Latest posts